Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cern
    • Jan 2003

stuttering video

I've tried watching a new file and encountered a odd glitch. This divx plays fine in it's original size but when I try to increase the image size i.e. double or full screen the video starts to stutter just a bit. A short hiccup every 2-3 seconds. In it's original size it does not do this. I've been watching videos in full screen mode for over a year now and never had this problem. I have a 1.33g Athalon, 512 Ram, and a GForge 2 ultra. Does anyone have any input on this? This appears to be a very high quality rip. Is it possible my system is just bogging down? I've tried it in several players and it happens in all of them.

Cern
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

decrease the postprocessing filter and try again.

a machine of the kind you use should be more than fine, but stutterng playback could be caused by many things (dma; irq-conflicts, etc)

Comment

• cern
      • Jan 2003

sorry for my noobishness but can you give me some info on the 'post processing filter'? Is this a setting in a player?

Cern

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

the post processing level is part of the divx codec or can be found under the same name in ffdshow as well.

this "filter" will provide best output quality when set to the max; i.e. to the right and visibly less quality when set to the left/minimum.

most of the times you can access postprocessing when running your player/avi and rightclick into the picture.
        then go to something like filters => properties => divx5 or similar named options.

on the other hand you should find "decoder configuration" in your programs => divx section

Comment

• cern
          • Jan 2003

Thanks. Turning the post processing filter down did infact solve the problem. Is it unusual that this one file is the only one that I've had these problems with?

Cern

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

from my p-o-v it is unusual that an 1+ghz pc has trouble with smooth playback at all.

if it is an exception, i wouldnt worry too much. in case this might occur every now and then, i'd check my system.

Comment

• cern
              • Jan 2003

I'm wondering if in fact there may be a problem here somewhere. I've had several things latly that the video and audio were not synched on, but I've always attributed that to a bad rip or encoding. When I adjusted the slider you mentioned it was only one position from the left. After adjusting it, the slider is not set all the way to the left and I can certainly see a loss of quality. Any suggestions on where I might start looking for problems? I have all the newest drivers for sound and video. I also have directx 9 installed. It seems odd that I have to turn post processing totally off to get this to run smoothly.

Robert

Comment

Working...