what is best video encoding software (free) out there?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lumiale
    • Jan 2003

• UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

what is your source and what your destination format?

Comment

• binkybuckle
      • Jan 2003

I think the best encoding software to use is flask(1.1preview with thundermism plugin) it may not have all the fine controls that gordianknot has but it is by far the easyest encoding program to use, it has you spending less time siting infront of your computer setting options and settings-has a shorter pre-encoding process, has all the basic fetures you need-ie audio volume, 2pass etc. And does not have every many bugs.

Most people would probably say that gordian knot is the best but due to its complicated process, and often crashing(for me at least) and the fact that while the total time of encoding the movie is less than flask, it has you spending more time than flask in setup and encoding sitting infront of your computer. For these reasons and the fact that gordian knot is just a collection of many free-ware programs(can create problems) appearing as one, I think flask is the best option

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

since you could find a number of tutorials guiding you through gordianknot and due to the fact that flask is much less reliable than gk i cannot agree with the aforementioned posting.

gk is comparably easy to handle just as DVX is.

Comment

• binkybuckle
          • Jan 2003

Thats my personal opinion, the major reasons include: DVX requires muliple program downloads to start encoding videos with audio-other than the codecs.(flask depending on the version only requires one program "flask!") I tried gk on three of my computers(then i gave up on it) each time i tried to use it, it crashed, i followed the tutorials to the letter(actually v-dub crashed but because of gk GUI).

Comment

• NICX
            • Jan 2003

The Best Encoding Software???

In my opinion i have found that gordion knot to be the best all round encoder a bit hard to nut out at first but once ya get the hang of it the end result seems to be far superior to the many other encoders ive tried, not them all but enough to be able to post my thoughts...

Comment

• ShuMO
              • Dec 2002

best is a relative term.

By best you could mean:
              Most efficent.
              Fastest.
              Most adjustable.
              Easiest to use.

I'm gonna take heat for this but for just plain simple easiest to use check out Microsofts new Media 9 Encoder. Its free. My mother could use it and it allows for some pretty cute tricks.
              HOWEVER. Not to many folks are excited about generating WMF files... *g.

I've become of a staunch supporter of 'tool sets'. Just a a mechanic cant really fix a care with only one wrench, no one tool is perfect for the task. You just need to get the right tool for the job... which you didn't really elaborate on.
              ShuMO

Comment

• techno
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Nov 2001

it depends what u actually wanna do, most of the DIVX stuff is for free and very good (like nandub) and Virtualdub for a bit of editing (u can do it in nandub too, sister of virtualdub)

MPEG - TMPGENC (the plus version is only a 14 day trial, the normal version has 30 days of MPEG2 encoding, then u purchase it)

Personally, I would use nandub for DVD ripping/encoding (check out my site and also UnCASMS's site) and for the odd jobs, I use the first ever version of vidomi, since the quality is soo higher than the newer version, or virtualdub.

Comment

• alpary
                  • Jan 2003

soft for encode

Try http://www.alparysoft.com

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

Hey I'm still a newbie to this but I use Gordian Knot and with a good guide I am doing a great job, with good video proformance.

Comment

Working...