Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penboy_np
    • Feb 2003

Nandub trouble

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to post this on, but I'd hope if it isn't someone could move it for me.

I've recently been trying to conserve space and been backing up movies I have, but I can't seem to find a really efficient encoder.

I've been using Virtual Dub for a while and I've found it a very useful and efficient program, but recently I came accross Nandub. I've downloaded as many different versions of both Virtual Dub and Nandub to try and get them to work, but either I get a strange script error or it write an enormous temp file (which, to the best of my knowledge, it shouldnt be doing.)

I have been trying to use the guide provided by Nicky's Digital Solutions for Nandub, but the version I have is a little different form the one he uses in this guide. One of the buttons (specifically the "generate stats" button) doesn't seem to exist.

I have found a version that seems similar to the one used in this example but it always gives me a script error when I run the first pass.

If anyone thinks they might be able to help me getting Nandub working ot could at the very least point me in the direction of a size efficent encoder I would be very appreciative. Any comments would be welcome.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

nandub only works with two codecs:
    divx3 and ms-v2

did you by chance use divx5 with nandub?

by the way: using divx5 with vd is what i prefer to nandub+divx3

Comment

• Penboy_np
      • Feb 2003

With Nandub I can't even find a place to select a codec. I did essentially what the Nicky's guide told me and I tried to do the first pass even though I couldn't find one of the things it asked me to do. Chances are though, that's the problem right there.

Although, knowing that Nandub only works with two codecs is interesting and useful knowledge. Do you think you might be able to reccomend an alternative that's space efficient? I'm hoping for something that would let me encode into either DivX 5.x or XviD, similar to the control that Vrtual Dub gives.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

t write an enormous temp file (which, to the best of my knowledge, it shouldnt be doing.)
        This indicates that you don't have the required codecs (DivX 3.11a or MS MPEG4 V2) installed.

Do you think you might be able to reccomend an alternative that's space efficient?
        I doubt you can find anything better than Virtualdub (nandub is basically a modified version of Virtualdub that allows for "more efficient" encoding using the 2 previously mentioned codecs). Either DivX 5.x or XviD will give you excellent compression ratios, compared to other codecs.

Comment

• Penboy_np
          • Feb 2003

Allrighty, thanks alot. I'm relatively new to encoding media files and I appreciate the support.

Thank you.

Comment

• chickeneater
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2002

if you get the error that warns you that the file may be very large, then
            set both audio and video to "direct stream copy"
            and save as a new filename
            FFDShow filters
            Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by chickeneater

if you get the error that warns you that the file may be very large, then
              set both audio and video to "direct stream copy"
              and save as a new filename
              What are you getting at? The author of the thread is looking at compressing video files, not firect streaming them. The oversized file problem was related to some required codecs not installed in the system.

Originally posted by Penboy_np
              Allrighty, thanks alot. I'm relatively new to encoding media files and I appreciate the support.

Thank you.
              You're welcome.

Comment

• chickeneater
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2002

sorry, I misread the post...
                FFDShow filters
                Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

gordianknot and dvx both make use of virtualdub.

for a guide one of the two routines, click the pictures in my signature.

Comment

Working...