Best Audio Extractor.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moridon77
    • Mar 2003

if i count my external hard drives, my lap top and hand help devices not to mention my total of 1160 gigabytes of internal space between my 8 computers only one conclusion can be made i am a geek just like you skd_tech and i (i assume you feel the same way) like it. my movies my music ect it is just to great being able to do so much and learn so much more every day that i cant sacrifice a milimeter of quality. but i think i want that lossless codec (one of the very few i dont have - and i burn them all on cd)

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by SKD_Tech
      Why take the risk of getting clicks skips or ANYTHING when you have this much space?
      Clicks and skips have nothing to do with how much compression is applied to a particular audio file. They are caused by imperfect ripping methods.

Where can I get a lossless Audio codec and Exact Audio Copy?
      There are quite a few of them. I am aware of FLAC and Monkey Audio. I am using Monkey Audio (file extension APE). The filesize will definitely be larger than 320kbps, but you can rest assured ALL of the audio information is retained and it comes with a winamp plug-in (so you can use it with Winamp and a few other players).

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Guys, let's keep this thread on-topic. You are steering off the subject of what is the best cd ripper by bragging how much space you guys own (it's not like I or anyone else care).

Comment

• moridon77
          • Mar 2003

whoa sorry. been chastized. i am sorry didnt mean to get all of all i was saying was that i think it is better to just get used to larger files and not risk losing any details

Comment

• SKD_Tech
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2003

Everytime I put a Audio CD in and have EAC running it never recongnizes it! What can I do? Do I need a ASPI layer or anything?

Comment

• davidh
              • Mar 2003

My point being that if you sat down and compared the difference between a 192K and a 320k file, i bet you couldnt tell the difference even on a hq stereo. The bitrate your encoding at is a waste of space regardless of how much free space you have. Why waste the space to waste the space?

Comment

• davidh
                • Mar 2003

Did you try the FAQ @ http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

>
                >Everytime I put a Audio CD in and have EAC running it never >recongnizes it! What can I do? Do I need a ASPI layer or ?>anything?

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2003

because it doesn't matter to me what the size is and yes I have tried the FAQ

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by davidh
                    My point being that if you sat down and compared the difference between a 192K and a 320k file, i bet you couldnt tell the difference even on a hq stereo. The bitrate your encoding at is a waste of space regardless of how much free space you have. Why waste the space to waste the space?

I can hear small, albeit subtle, difference between a properly encoded 192kbps MP3 and the 320kbps. Lossless is an entirely different thing, being purely a joy to listen to (There are no artifacts that result from the MP3 encoder mangling the high frequency spectrums).

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2003

Where could I get a lossless encoder/ripper/whatever I need?

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

Where could I get a lossless encoder/ripper/whatever I need?
                        For ripper, you can find them from the link I gave earlier. Rippers will rip the audio tracks on the CD to WAV files.

For lossless encoder, I can give you one for Monkey Audio (I have not used anything else, and am happy enough with Monkey, so . . .).

Monkey Audio: http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

Comment

• t3ch
                          H4x0r of Gibsons
                          • Mar 2003

because it doesn't matter to me what the size is and yes I have tried the FAQ
                          You still didn't answer his question... All you're saying is you're wasting a ton of space just to do so. But whatever, to each his own.

Monkey Audio (Enchanter's recommendation) lists Easy CD-DA Extractor (my suggestion) as one of their recommended rippers/encoders.

I did try mofkry audio, and I found it to be way too big to my liking. It may be lossless, but it's hardly worth increasing file size 5x. Actually you know, it would be interesting to compare the wavelengths just to see exactly how much different it is... hrmmm.... *opens goldwav*
                          OGSTH! my webpage
                          ----------------------------
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Jan 2003

Ok I am so called "wasting space" say it like you want.

Now Back on topic

Comment

• Enchanter
                              Old member
                              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by t3ch
                              I did try mofkry audio, and I found it to be way too big to my liking. It may be lossless, but it's hardly worth increasing file size 5x. Actually you know, it would be interesting to compare the wavelengths just to see exactly how much different it is... hrmmm.... *opens goldwav*
                              Call it placebo or whatever, but I do prefer the way lossless sounds compared to any lossy compression you care to show to me. Lossless does not mangle sounds in the high frequency domain, like what MP3 is bound to do. I just hate it when "ptinngg", violin and such sound synthetic and/or broken when they should not be.

That said, you need to make sure you have a soundcard with a decent to excellent DAC, coupled with a faithful speaker system (does not have to be necessarily expensive three-figure dollars system; just one that faithfully reproduces what signal is fed into it). For the record, I am using the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard (changing to the M-audio Revolution once drivers have matured) connected to the Videologic Sirocco Crossfire speaker system.

Comment

• igotid24
                                • Jan 2003

as far as lossless audio compression goes i would defenitly suggest SHN. i doubt there would actually be any difference between the actual audio of the different lossless compressions, but shn has a big advantage, when you encode with it it creates a md5 verification file, which can be used anytime to verify that the files are exactly the same as the source. this is especially usefull when trading recording of concerts. for more info check out etree.org, lots of info on lossless compression.

Comment

Working...