X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

what's up, setarip

no time for answers in between all those *my pleasure* replies?

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To UncasMS

What the heck are you talking (so sarcastically) about?

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

He is saying you are so helpful to so many people it's like you never have any off time I don't think he meant it to be "so sarcastic"

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

i was talking about the question adressed to you

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

What the heck are you talking (so sarcastically) about?
            well, your ignorance answering my question:

how many and what kind of tests have you done with it so far?
            ...despite the fact that you DID look into this thread, leads me to the conclusion, that you did NOT do any tests yourself.

of course i then wonder, what you base statements like these on:

Eventually, the rest of the digital video world may discover what an excellent codec 3IVX really is ;>}
            on the other hand i dont expect any further useful input from you

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To UncasMS

"on the other hand i dont expect any further useful input from you"

Despite the (surprising) total rudeness of your postings (seems you've got your panties in a bunch today), coupled with the fact that your postings have nothing to do with the initial posters original question, I guess they're worthy of one response:

I didn't indicate that I've done any specific comparative testing - nor have I ever done or said so regarding any methodology, codecs, or software. However, as i've stated in other postings in the past, I do know what I find to be easy to use software that generates visually satisfying (to me) results. The 3IVX codec falls into this category...

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

dont worry if my posting had anything to do with the initial posting, or start looking into your own replies: *You should post this question in the "P2P" sub-forum here...*

i had a question which you simply ignored - you could at least have given an answer - the reason for not doing so is another matter.

total rudeness
                lol, sure thing

guess i rather call ignorance rude.

with this in mind:
                I didn't indicate that I've done any specific comparative testing
                .... i will make up my mind on statements like this:

Eventually, the rest of the digital video world may discover what an excellent codec 3IVX really is
                Last edited by UncasMS; 6 Apr 2003, 06:19 AM.

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

I don't think starting an argument like this will gain anything much here.

The best thing would be to install that codec and find out how it actually performs compared to the others. That way you will have your own words to say about the codec on this board.
                  Last edited by Enchanter; 6 Apr 2003, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

i wanted some feedback on this issue as i thought setarip would be able to provide some infos.

i was mistaken

i dont consider asking question /asking for feedback inapropriate for a forum.

had i gotten any decent answer in the first place,.....

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

3VIX Decoding test

I did some quick testing with the 3DVX codec, specifically decoding a variety of MPEG-4 compression formats, namely DivX 3.11, DivX 5 and XviD. The samples tested on are animation clips (I don't have any normal samples to test with around me for now).

The first thing I noticed is that the decoder introduces minor to heavy mosquito noise to lines. Setting the decoder video filter levels (aka post-processing levels) from None to All (full) did not make much difference. In comparison, decoding with native decoders (DivX 3.11 and DivX 5 with their own decoders or FFDShow, and XviD with FFDShow) yielded close-to-'clean' picture with hardly any to slight mosquito noise.

Using 3IVX decoder on XviD with B-frames yielded mixed results. On movies of bitrates around 600-1200kbps, there was no problem visible (apart from the afore-mentioned mosquito lines). However, on opening clips encoded at 100% quality (with 3 maximum b-frames at a thresold of 0-50), there were visible decoding artifacts that I can best describe as being much worse than DivX 3.11 ****s (shifting blocks?). FFDShow, in comparison, outputted perfectly good and problem-free picture.

Sharpness seems on par with DivX 3 and FFDShow decoding results.

It is hard for me to deduce whether the slightly washed out video is the fault of the decoder or simply because of the prevalent mosquito lines.

The ability to set the DirectShow priority is a very interesting feature of 3VIX.

Without going to much into conclusion (I know not everyone watches anime, but this gives some insight into what the decoder is capable of), the 3VIX decoder is decent, but needs some further work in being able to decode XviD with B-frames and more importantly, prevent mosquito lines that were never there in the first place from appearing. I personally think FFDShow still does the better job for decoding MPEG-4 compression formats while at the same time possessing a large number of processing filters that a lot of us may find useful.

Comment

• Crocodile
                        • Mar 2003

i could not notice any visible difference between xvid and divx4+ movies decoded with 3ivx or their respective originals. that's when 3ivx works.

what codec configurations do you pros use? (ie. which codecs and filters do you have installed, that enable you to watch everything comfortably?)

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

Re: 3VIX Decoding test

Originally posted by Enchanter
                          ...In comparison, decoding with native decoders (DivX 3.11 and DivX 5 with their own decoders or FFDShow, and XviD with FFDShow) ...
                          Explains enough?

Originally posted by Crocodile
                          i could not notice any visible difference between xvid and divx4+ movies decoded with 3ivx or their respective originals
                          The findings I posted above are based on what I have seen with my own eyes and equipments. I do not know what others, be they fellow experimenters, fans, loyalists or whatever, think of the 3IVX decoder. I would actually suggest UncasMS do some test on the codec as well and hence be able to come with a more conclusive decision on where the 3IVX codec stands.

As of now, I am doing a conversion with the codec. I should be able to get the result by the end of the day, though I do not expect to have any time to be able do any qualitative analysis until a few days later.

Comment

• UncasMS
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2001

@ enchanter

thanks a lot for your feedback

@ crocodile

installed codecs on my machines:
                            divx3, divx5, ms v2, xvid
                            realmagic, picvideo, huffyuv, intel indeo

ffdshow does the playback

Comment