Better distribute WMV or MS-MPEG4 or...?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uli
    • Mar 2003

Better distribute WMV or MS-MPEG4 or...?

Hi,

I would like to distribute my videos through internet.
    I dont have a streaming server.
    I mainly want to reach Win-Users.
    So what is the best in terms of 'codec-spreading' (what codec is most presumable installed on users system)?
    I know, that the MediaPlayer tries to download the codec if not present on system, but in some cases (firewall,etc) it's not possible to download the codec.

So, I would like to know which codec is most likely installed on any Win-System out there. And the Quality/Bandwidth-Ratio should be quite good (so don't propose cinepak

I thought of WMV8 or Microsofts MPEG4-codec.
    Other suggestions? cons? pros?
    help me!

thanks
    uli
  • BoF
    • Nov 2001

hello,

try to encode video with XviD and audio with Ogg Vorbis in an OGM container.

codecs you have to provide are ffdshow (xvid/divx/... playback) and oggDS (tobia's filter for ogg vorbis).
    [www.scandiumrecords.com][Logan dataspirit]

Comment

• uli
      • Mar 2003

Hi BoF,

can you provide some more information about your suggestion (never heard of ogg....)

The important thing is, that the user (or user's system) doesn't have to download and/or install something. The people who will watch the video don't know anything about computer and therefor everything has to be 'click and go' without tweaking around in the system....

thanks for your reply.

cheers
      uli

Comment

• BoF
        • Nov 2001

installing ffdshow (or an xvid build) and oggDS doesn't mean a hard step
        I advised you those codecs coz they have good results in encoding and they are open source.
        Ogg Vorbis is an alternative way to encode audio. It is quite better than mp3!

XviD home/project page: http://www.xvid.org/
        XviD koepi's binaries:

Ogg Vorbis home/project page:

Ogg Vorbis Tobia's Direct Show Filter:
        This website is for sale! everwicked.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, everwicked.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

course, those codecs aren't provided by M$ - lol.

Comment

• uli
          • Mar 2003

thanks again, BoF,

but first of all comes 'useability'.
          Better see a BAD movie than NO movie.

Often the people doesn't have system-rights to install a codec or something. So it has to work without installing something.
          Maybe Xvid got the best bandwidth/quality ratio in the world, but that doesn't help if somone isn't able to get the codec.

Do you know which codec is most likely installed on todays Win-Systems?

thanks for your support

uli

Comment

• BoF
            • Nov 2001

Originally posted by uli

Often the people doesn't have system-rights to install a codec or something. So it has to work without installing something.
            ya, es ist richtig.
            so forget xvid/vorbis
            wmv is provided by M$
            ..somebody may have an other solution..

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

wmv should be a good solution for your needs.

Comment

• Batman
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Jan 2002

RV9 would also be useful. The codec is specifically created for streaming, and offer relatively good quality at lower audio/video bitrates.

Comment

• BoF
                  • Nov 2001

u'r right Batman but I'm not sure rv9 codecs are available in windows. u need to install them.

Comment

• Batman
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2002

The latest version of Realone include the RV9 codec. If you have an older version, you will be prompted to install the codec from real's website.

RV9 codecs function on a variety of platforms including MAC, LINUX, and M$ WINDOWS

Comment

• BoF
                      • Nov 2001

course, but Uli says that users may NOT have to install codecs. that's a real problem on some systems where you don't have rights (admin' security). then, realone/wmp may not be able to connect on the internet because the proxy/firewall blocks it (same problem of admin' security).

Comment

• Batman
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2002

I think there is a higher chance that people will have the RV (through Realone) or WMV/WMA codecs installed, when compared to divx or xvid. Wouldn't a user need to install divx/xvid as well?

However, it is possible to playback limited RV/WMV/Quicktime and divx/xvid files using MPLAYER or VIDEOLAN (Both players have these codecs built in, and don't need to be installed).

Comment

Working...