Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kris
    • Jun 2003

Need a Pro system, For Avid Xpress / DVD autoring, for Home Studio

I am looking for a Computer System right now to run Avid Xpress and Xpress pro when it comes out, and I need to burn DVD's. Here's the problem, What do I choose! Every expert I have talked to has said use the Sony +/- Burner, some say the Pioneer is better. Plextor is a good brand, but I haven't heard good things yet.

I want a Quailty built System, made for editng and the best ones I have fornd so far are at Alienware ( www.alienware.com ) Uber Gear ( www.uber-gear.com ) and Dell (who doesn't know that one) Dell is so much cheeper, but I can only get the Sony at Uber Gear, and they look amazing, but I have never heard of them, Does anyone know if they are as good as Alienware? What about Dell? Can I expect the same type of quality ?

Sorry I am a pro editor not a a computer guru so any help would be appreciated

Gotta get the studio up asap!

Thanks,

Kris Romanav (CCA)
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

no own experience, sorry.

i built my systems myself so far in order to be able to control every detail/part of it.
    Last edited by UncasMS; 3 Jun 2003, 11:32 PM.

Comment

• onerose
      • Nov 2001

i'm running avid express, all of the one you listed are good you just need a lot of harddisk space and at least a p-4 2.4 with 512 ram i built my own with all the above and have no problems, obtw
      have use a-05's to burn for what your doing it doesn't matter what format you use they both can be read

Comment

• crispy
        • Mar 2003

I bought a VPR Matrix from Best Buy and added the Hardware I needed. It gave me a starting point to work from. The software is what you really need. Also add an extra hard drive to use as a work area.

By the way, PC Gamer just reviewed the Plextor DVD burner and they liked it. So did Maximum PC. A good place to find hardware reviews is cnet.com or anandtech.com
        Last edited by crispy; 14 Jun 2003, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• chickeneater
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Apr 2002

Originally posted by UncasMS
          no own experience, sorry.

i built my systems myself so far in order to be able to control every detail/part of it.
          me too. it is pretty easy putting the parts together. if you are interested, go check out www.pricewatch.com to get the lowest price for computer components.
          FFDShow filters
          Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

Working...