Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Juhnny
    • May 2003

Don't know were else to ask

I am using some Sony 80min 700mb CDR's. At least that's what it says on the disk but when I check the properties on it it shows only 648mb available. I bought a spindle of 100 and they all show that much available. I use Easy CD Creator to burn cd's. Did i get a batch of mislabeled CDR's or am I doing something wrong here??? I thought you could actually over burn but here it looks like I amy getting BURNED. I hate having to cut a 699mb movie in two when I should not have to... Any suggestions???

Thanks
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

Try using a different brand of CD media... Check it and see how large is shows up.

Just buy the smallest pack you can find and just try to find if it is actually a CD-Rom that is faulting or just a bad set of media

Comment

• Juhnny
      • May 2003

It just sucks that I got a spindle of 100 of these that are crap now. Since most movies are just under 700mb designed to fit on one cd. Now I have to cut the movie and use an extra cd.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

Hey man give me some more info when you can get a couple of different medias and see if it was just Sony or what.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Don't sweat it. That's just a flaw in Win98. Remember, when that O/S was created, the maximum was a 650Meg CD-R (The 2Meg difference is for format overhead)...

Comment

• Juhnny
            • May 2003

If thats true about the win98 then that's probably the reason. I am running Win98. Well I guess I now have the reason I've been looking for to go buy me a new comp, Alienware.com here I come.

Thanks guys

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"If thats true about the win98 then that's probably the reason. I am running Win98."

No, it's not "probably the reason", it's definitely the reason - and, unless you're just looking for justification, it's certainly no reason to purchase a new computer ;>}

Comment

• Juhnny
                • May 2003

I know it's not a reason to go buy a new comp but it is my justification more like my excuse to go buy a new one. My Gateway 450P3 has served me well over the years, now I can give it to my wife so she can read her e-mail and do what ever else she does when she's on it.

Comment

• MPS
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Mar 2003

dont pay attention to the numbers, get Nero burning ROM and overburn ur cds as u like it. just make sure your cd-recorder is supported (look at www.ahead.de
                  also, if u got 699mb movie for a 700mb cd, there's no need to overburn anyway

Comment

• Klooedzs
                    • Apr 2002

Like MPS said, use neroNero. Quite sure your burner is supported by nero. since you had an old burner anyway...

easy cd creator somehow slower than nero, but i never fails. nero sometime fails if you force the cd to be burned at max capability. if you had a fast cd burner, 32x will be enough. i find that it's the safe limit to use nero. even using some sucks cd, AU$ 30 cents each. hehehe...

easy cd creator had a fast function that nero didn't anyway... but it won't matters if you're not an update maniac. hehehe.. the downside of easy cd creator of course the limit of 650. i've tried to increase the limit, but they simply rejects it. while with nero, it can detects the cd capable limit of space and if you increase the nero handling capability, it could even support 800mb cd's

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

Don't sweat it. That's just a flaw in Win98. Remember, when that O/S was created, the maximum was a 650Meg CD-R (The 2Meg difference is for format overhead)...

this of course is not true

700mb or more worked fine for me under win98

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

To UncasMS

"this of course is not true

700mb or more worked fine for me under win98"

You've misinterpreted what I said. I did not say 700Mg CDs don't work under Win98 - only that Win98 (Explorer) misreports a blank CD-R as being 648Mgs...

Comment

Working...