Why does DVDshrink split into 1 GB VOB files???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ralphkaeppeli
    • Jul 2003

Why does DVDshrink split into 1 GB VOB files???

Can somebody tell my, why DVDshrink splits the created image file into 1 GB big VOB-files? I haven't seen any option within the program that would change that. Would I have to change that with the Windows operation system (I use Windows XP Home on a notebook)? When I burn these sections on a DVD, the DVD doesn't play smoothly (jumps from one section ot the other).

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Ralph
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

1gb is the usual size for vob files

why should dvdshrink not stick to this rule?

moreover, fat32 would run into trouble with files over 4gb

Comment

• ralphkaeppeli
      • Jul 2003

Thanks for the reply.

I was just wondering, if there is a way to create DVDs that don't have this problem (play smoothly, without having to jump form one section to the other).

Thanks,

Ralph

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Since UncasMS has closed your thread in the DVDShrink sub-forum (where it more appropriately belongs), I'll ask you here to provide specific information as follows:

1) What procedures did you use with DVDShrink?

2) What do you mean by, "play smoothly, without having to jump form one section to the other"?

3) What software and procedures did you use to burn your DVD?

4) What software are you using to playback your burned DVD on your PC?

5) Have you played your burned DVD on a standalone DVD player?

Comment

• ralphkaeppeli
          • Jul 2003

Thank you Setarip.

I use "re-author" with DVDshrink
          I use NTI DVD Maker for the burning
          I use Power DVD to watch DVDs on my computer
          When I play the burned DVD in standalone DVD player, it reads several sections and therefore stops after each (1 GB big) section.

Like unkasms mentioned, FAT32 doesn't handle files bigger than 4 GB.

Anyway, just thought there might be a fix for that,

Thanks,

Ralph

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I use NTI DVD Maker for the burning"

You might consider using a different burning program (such as NERO, which I use, or Record Now, which others have recommended)

"When I play the burned DVD in standalone DVD player, it reads several sections and therefore stops after each (1 GB big) section."

A) Does the burned DVD playback properly on your PC, under PowerDVD? If it DOES, the problem may be in the sensitivity of your standalone player. If the burned DVD exhibits the same problem under PowerDVD, the quality of the media (and/or the burning program) may be at fault.

B) Exactly how are you able to determine that the "stopping points" are actually specifically at the end of each .VOB?

Comment

• ralphkaeppeli
              • Jul 2003

I don't think the burning software or the DVD player are the problem. Since I get 5 different VOB-files (of max 1GB size) out of DVDshrink, I can't burn anything else than what I get. The VOB-files are all read as different movie-files (on my computer and in standalone DVD player).

Ralph

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Since I get 5 different VOB-files (of max 1GB size) out of DVDshrink, I can't burn anything else than what I get."

DVDShrink would have also produced a series of .IFO and .BUP files - ALL of which are integral parts of the required DVD "package"

"The VOB-files are all read as different movie-files (on my computer and in standalone DVD player)."

This certainly WOULD indicate that you've not burned the files properly as a DVD. ALL of the files created by ShrinkDVD - ALL .IFOs (including "VIDEO_TS.IFO), .BUPs, and .VOBs - should be contained in a folder named "VIDEO_TS". Additionally (cautionary measure), you should create an empty folder named "AUDIO_TS".

Both the "VIDEO_TS" folder (including all of its contents) and the empty "AUDIO_TS" folder have to be burned to your burnable DVD.

"I use NTI DVD Maker for the burning"

I'd once again suggest that you try NERO ("DVD-Video" mode) instead...

Comment

Working...