How do I compress a wav file for a movie?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lingoguysw5
    • Jun 2003

How do I compress a wav file for a movie?

I read that avi files converted to wav can be 10MB per minute which is quite big for a movie. Can this be reduced. Secondly, which is the best audio conversion for divx movies wav or mpg? This is to burn of course to cd encoding via tmpgenc. Would luv to hear from your replies. Cheers
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

convert your wave to mp3 or better ogg vorbis

Talk about the AVI file container, and the Divx/Xvid codecs that are most commonly found in AVI files

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

Why not use Tmpgenc to convert your LPCM wave to .mp2 format? Open TMPGenc...click Ctrl N to clear the project...feed your .wav (I assumed you demultiplexed) into the audio source window on the main screen...an .mp2 file will automatically pop up in the output window...and when you click "start" it'll be on your HD in about 5-10 min. It'll probably be out of synch with the video...but you can correct that in "source range" in the advanced settings area (look for the audio correction box.)

Comment

• lingoguysw5
        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by rsquirell
        Why not use Tmpgenc to convert your LPCM wave to .mp2 format? Open TMPGenc...click Ctrl N to clear the project...feed your .wav (I assumed you demultiplexed) into the audio source window on the main screen...an .mp2 file will automatically pop up in the output window...and when you click "start" it'll be on your HD in about 5-10 min. It'll probably be out of synch with the video...but you can correct that in "source range" in the advanced settings area (look for the audio correction box.)
        rsquirell, forgive me I am quite a newbie to all this and am not up on all the termonologies, so in other words I would need to extract and save audio in Virtualdub as a normal wav file. (Not clear on PCM) Anyway t/15o convert it into mp2 format I open TMPGenc, select the audio file from the main screen click start and it will be showing on my HD in about 10 mins as an encoded mp2 file. Is that correct so far? Furthermore I can use TMPGenc Advanced settings source range to adjust the synch probably with lots of practice. I hope I have understand properly rsquirell. Thanks for helping me even though there is no end you learn something new ever day

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

In TMPGenc go to File>>MPEGTools>>Demultiplex...load AVI into source...double click video stream and save it as a m2v...double click audio stream and save it as a wav. You've just "demuxed". Follow the proceedure to convert wav to mp2. Clear screen. Load m2v into video source and mp2 into audio source. To make it a DVD click settings and under general tab select MPEG2 and CQ...under advanced tab you'll find "source range" where you can make vid length and audio corrections. OK out of settings..."Load" DVD template...hit "Start"...abort after passing first lip movement sceen and view vid to see if there's a problem. If OK delete the short vid...load the DVD template and hit start again. Make synch corrections in 200Msec increments...+ if sound after lip movement...- if before.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To rsquirell

Unless there's been an addition to TMPGEnc of which I'm unaware, I don't believe you can use TMPGEnc's "MPEGTools" to demultiplex .AVI files - only MPEG-1/VCD/MPEG-2/SVCD/.VOB files...

You can, however, load an .AVI into the MAIN window of TMPGenc, set the "Stream type" to "Audio only" - and thereby convert the audiostream to an .MP2 audio file.

If I've somehow erred in what I've stated here, please advise...

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

Since I learned the basics of the proceedure from you for demuxing in TMPGenc I must bow to your expertise. But I recently converted a slew of AVI's I downloaded a few years back using this method. Maybe they were made differently than those made by Divx. Some I had converted to mpg in ULead VS6 before taking to TMPGenc...but just before I made this post VS6 refused to accept a file into the storyboard...I took it to TMPGenc Demux and discovered it was an AVI I had misnamed to a m2v extension...and even though MP9 would play it VS6 wouldn't accept it with other real m2v's in the storyboard. I demuxed the vid stream out to a m2v (250kb vs 1300kb for the avi) and VS6 accepted that. Don't know about Divx AVI's for sure. I guess if it won't accept them you're stuck with a virtualdub demux. The rest of the proceedure should work with the demuxed files however.

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

setarip: time for me to eat crow...again. I just had TMPGenc refuse 3 of my anime AVI's in demux. That file I thought was a AVI must have been a MPEG2...but I don't know why VS6 refused to take it since IT made it. Anyway...with your conversion shortcut you can cut out the demuxing step altogether. Just be sure that when you load the AVI for processing the converted MP2 is selected into the audio source window. I've been screwing with so many different programs sometimes I don't know what I'm making what with. If it doesn't work this way I try that way...and eventually I get what I want. I found a neat way to get a zoom-in mpg of a single jpg by using mpic2ani (to make the AVI), TMPGenc to crop and make the individual stills, andVS6 storyboard to put them together. Exploring is fun...but sometimes you forget exactly what you did to create something.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

To rsquirell

NO crows need be eaten - We ALL can make mistakes and, perhaps more importantly, we ALL can always learn something new. As I've said before, the day I stop learning is the day the coffin will be closed ;>}

Comment

Working...