X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

Man whoever made this was purdy smart! I accuse Setarip (nah just kidding if you see this)

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by chickeneater
      dude... I got checked with norton, and it didn't find anything...
      Just because Norton doesn't find a virus doesn't mean that the virus isn't there. It just means that none of the viruses norton knows are on your system.

Q: What guarantee do you have that norton is able to detect this virus or any other upcomming virus ?

A: None whatsoever.

Antivirus programs are practically completly useless, when it comes to defending againt attacks like this. A virus like the blasterworm can go global in a matter of minutes, while it may take days before a antivirus update for norton, enables you to detect the virus.

Only a firewall can provide any kind of protection against such attacks. And indeed a properly configured firewall does protect against the blaster worm.

This of course doesn't mean that, a firewall will protect against any kind of attack. Viruses that spread via www pages or email, will walk right through a firewall. Ofcourse virusses like that tend spread alot slower than worms like the blaster worm, since they require the user of the target machine to view the page or email, for example the 'I love you virus' took a few hours to become a global problem (still way too fast for antivirus programs to be of significant use).
      The best defence against such attacks, is to avoid using the most commonly used internet tools, IE, Outlook Express, etc.

Supposedly, the "latest" version of the MSBLASTER worm prevents M$'s patch from installing, leaving a complete format as the only option of disinfecting a system.
      If such a beast exists a new fix should be avaliable in a matter of days. Suggesting that people should format their harddrives is just plain silly. Please don't spread fud like this.
      Last edited by khp; 18 Aug 2003, 10:40 AM.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

I have not suggested anyone format their drives. I have seen reports of this problem, and I thought it would be useful to let board members know of it, it is far from "fud".

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

A firewall is a must - make sure you get one that supports both incoming and outgoing scans and blocking, like ZoneAlarm (free version available : FREE ZoneAlarm )
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• MPS
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Mar 2003

A firewall is a must...
            i heard some good opinions about McAfee Firewall too (link)

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

Another free and good firewall

Comment

• shiny#3
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jul 2003

the best firewall (freeware ) is outpost (imho), though
                zonealarm is not a bad choice either

Comment

• NobbyNobbs
                  • Aug 2003

Personaly I run an old 486 with Smoothwall as my firewall, then I do not have any Microsoft programs directly connected to the Internet.
                  As most Viruses/Worms, etc.- are aimed at Microsoft OS'es, or programs, I prefer a Linux firewall solution.

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

i agree with shiny#3

i'm more than pleased with outpost

Comment

• Livewire
                      • Jun 2003

I am not much of a supporter of microsoft and I feel sorry for all those who deem it as a necessity. I also teem with joy for every hacker that comes up with these wonderfully programmed small and effective programs to proove that a multi-trillion dollar software industry (MS) is incapable and unwilling to design thier operating system in a responsible manner. Consumers have balked about these things since the age of Windoze 3.11.
                      I also feel sad that I too am one of these blokes with this poor problem of conforming to a product that is bent on telling consumers what they do and don't want in an operating system.

In short: Way to go worms, viruses and trojans. My day has been complicated with frustration and dissapointment as a result of my ignorance and stupidity. Hmmm Linux.... wonder if that is gonna work.
                      Government throws more money at a problem, so it looks like they are making a difference.

Comment

• chickeneater
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Apr 2002

I can't have a fulltime full on real firewall because it closes my internet connection, for some reason. norton still keeps my internet, but other things like ad blockers and stuff like that kill the internet
                        FFDShow filters
                        Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• khp
                          The Other
                          • Nov 2001

Originally posted by chickeneater
                          I can't have a fulltime full on real firewall because it closes my internet connection, for some reason. norton still keeps my internet, but other things like ad blockers and stuff like that kill the internet
                          Ehh, that is purely a matter of configuring the firewall. I don't know about outpost, but in zonealarm, you get a popup window everytime an unknow program tries to access the internet, you can then tell the firewall, to always, or just this once, deny or grant the program access. As far as I'am concerned this feature is absolutly essential, since it provides a very effective protection against backdoors and datamining viruses.

Could it be that you have the 'Windows Internet connection firewall' or some norton firewall enabled ?, which will naturally conflict with any other software firewall. IMHO Zonealarm would be a much better choice than either the Windows firewall or anything norton might provide.

Edit: OK I'll admit that, I might be a bit biased against Norton, primarily because it's a nonfree product. And I very much prefer using free solutions whenever possible.
                          In this case I'am pretty sure that there are free solutions that are at least as good as any nonfree solution.
                          Last edited by khp; 20 Aug 2003, 08:59 AM.
                          Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• chickeneater
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Apr 2002

hehe... I got norton 2003 pro from a friend. it was like free
                            FFDShow filters
                            Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Jan 2003

I just use Mcafee and it works fine for me. I have a hardware Firewall in my external modem. Please no comments about Mcafee vs. Norton no one cares

Comment

Working...