Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom9
    • Nov 2001

PLZ HELP dvd rip speed/jerky video

okay, i have a Pioneer DVD drive, model 106S. I have been using it for months ripping DVDs before encoding to Divx. It usually ripped using smartripper (and yes i have 2.39 - the latest version) at about 9.3x (rip speed). Well, I upgraded to windowsXP a few weeks ago and continued to rip DVDs just fine and at that speed. All of a sudden my drive will only rip at 1.3x speed and plays DVDs very jerky. I did not change a thing to cause this to happen.... I have gone to the pioneer tech support page and tried everything... DMA settings were a possibility, however winXP doesnt show those settings under the properties of the DVD drive... I dont know if this is physical drive failure or something software related... Please reply with any help/comments/info you may have on this... Thnx
    "Death is short, Honor is eternal"

- dont know
  • Fruitmaker
    • Nov 2001

I have the same problem... with just one diffrence.. i never had speed with about 9.xxx i only have ripping speed @ about 1 to 1.3

Tries nearly everything to increase speed (activate DMA and S.M.A.R.T) but no success. anyone help me ??

have fun
    There is always a way u can handle it...

Comment

• Tom9
      • Nov 2001

ya

bummer, i can't find anything to fix this.... very strange

PLZ help !!!

- dont know

Comment

• tomnhanni
        • Nov 2001

Sometimes the dvds I get rip and play fast othertimes they play/rip slow. It might have to do with the dvds themselves.(?) Maybe they're mastered differently and the laser reads some easier that others. I noticed as well the same DVDs that rip slowly also play jerkey in WINDVD. My DVD drive used to play just about every CD I put into it but now it only reads DVD disks. I think as the drives get older the lasers get dirty or just f---ed up.(?)

tomnhanni
        Say Mr. Beefy!

Comment

• Tom9
          • Nov 2001

well as far as the "some dvd's rip slower" goes... i thought the same thing, but then i tried ripping the exact same DVD that i had ripped a while back (at high speed) and it still wouldn't rip faster than 1.3x...... and yes im sure the lasers do crap out over time, but this drive is not even 6 months old

still need help !!

- dont know

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

different speed is of course a matter of wether the data is encrypted or not!!

for simple copying speed should be fine, for encrypted material 1.3 is still way to slow!

ide or scsi?

for ide, make sure dma is on

Comment

• Tom9
              • Nov 2001

yes, i know...

it is IDE....

and there are no optional DMA settings under the drive's properties..... PLEASE READ CLOSELY my first post... it explains that i did not change anything and it worked fine before and during winXP but suddenly just stopped working... the only thing i can think of is laser/mechanical failure....
              thnx anyway

STILL NEED HELP

- dont know

Comment

• tomnhanni
                • Nov 2001

Well, if even after you upgraded to win XP it still continued to rip at high speed then I can only assume that your laser got dirty or a little burnt out.-- nothing to do with drvers or your system. Sometimes if the drive has to work real hard for one cd then it can get burnt out. That happened to me once. I put a dirty or funny cd in my drive and it read it really slow. Finally when I took it out it was real hot (the cd) and my drive was never the same again. One thing you can try is get a comercial cd-drive-cleaner cd and see if that helps. Or if you're the adventurous type, take out the drive from your pc and open it and with a clean Q-tip and pure alcohol, gently clean the laser. I've done it before. But just note that you nulify any garantee if you open it up.
                By the way what DVD software player do you use? If you use WINDVD I just found a solution to jerky playing. Disable the hardware motion compensation feature. But leave the horizontal and vertical scaling on. I was surprised to find out that after I did that, my DVDs played real smooth. Funny!-- I don't know why.
                Say Mr. Beefy!

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

well, even if YOU didnt change anything, who says xp didnt?

my best bet: your prob is driver related.

Comment

• Tom9
                    • Nov 2001

thats true.... xp has a few surprises
                    and I will try to check the driver possibility.... but im still skeptical>> I think its mechanical failure, but thnx for the advice.
                    keep the suggestions coming

- dont know

Comment

• tomnhanni
                      • Nov 2001

But you did say in your origional post that even after you installed xp you continued to rip at high speed. If that's true then how can you explain the sudden change? What if you revert back to your previous OS and see what happens? You can always go and upgrade again.
                      Say Mr. Beefy!

Comment

• Tom9
                        • Nov 2001

exactly... thats why im so baffled as to what happened... it has got to be mechanical failure in the drive.....

- dont know

Comment

• Tom9
                          • Nov 2001

STILL NEED HELP PLZ

- dont know

Comment

• Mickey Padge
                            • Nov 2001

I am Having the same problem .My DVD playback is jerky all of a sudden and ripping is down to 0.8 to 1.4 speed .I am running XP too and have tried various solutions with no luck . I cant belive that this is hardware failure . My drive is only about 3 months old !

Comment

• Tom9
                              • Nov 2001

ok, i have a solution finally
                              i explain it in another thread/replies

go here, > http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...0&goto=newpost

hope this helps

- dont know

Comment

Working...