Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calhoun
    • Aug 2003

capture woes.....

I have a P4 2.66Ghz, 1GB ram, Geforce4 Ti 4200 and Play TVHD capture card(cx23881) running with XP. I've been capturing excellent quality videos for more than 6 months now by capturing in an uncompressed format then post encoding it. My problem is that recently the quality of capture (before encoding) has degraded (very pixelated). After reinstalling drivers and software and checking for interference from all my hardware such as all other cards, power supply, cables etc, decided to reformat and reinstall Windows XP, after this failed to fix the problem I bought a new capture card (WinFast TV2000 XP Expert). With this NEW card I encounter the same low quality pixelated capture.

Could a component of my relatively new computer(ram, processor, motherboard etc) be somehow interfering with the capture process?

Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"checking for interference from all my hardware such as all other cards, power supply, cables etc"

Did you also check to make certain that your external cables are properly secured at "both ends" (video source and PC)? Did you also check these cables for breaks?

It might make sense to purchase new (high quality) external cables to replace our prsent cables.

Comment

• calhoun
      • Aug 2003

yes pal, I checked connection of these cables and replaced both s-video and composite cables. No joy..

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

Well, If it worked before and it pixcellates now something has changed with your settings (perhaps when you installed a new program...or changed something to improve performance of another program...or installed a filter package.) I'm sure you've been keeping current with XP updates...how about the capture card AND video card driver updates. Have you installed DirectX9? Does the card manufacturer have a list of recommended settings. Do they have a forum where other users who might experience the same problem might post their solutions. Just groping in the dark here.

Comment

• shiny#3
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jul 2003

but still a good guess rsquirell.....
          I suppose that the capture format (that means the codec)
          you capture card chooses by default to record uncompressed
          video has changed????
          as soon as you have updated your direct x, I would recommend using the codec sniper that comes with tsunami filterpack to look
          for suspicious codecs.

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

When I downloaded and installed the tsunami filter pack from Uncams' site ALL of my Dazzle capture software AND PowerDVD failed to work. I uninstalled the pack and did a system restore. Just a word to the wise.

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

If you install the pack and you get a question to replace existing filters click "No to All" and you should be OK...(I clicked Yes to All" wanting the latest and greatest. By clicking No you can go back and install new updated filters one by one and make sure you don't get one that conflicts.)

Comment

• calhoun
                • Aug 2003

Yeah but guys.. I even reformatted and reinstalled XP then just the basic capture software and when that failed I bought another capture card, still no joy...

And Shiny3, the tried and true format of YUY2 as opposed to RGB etc is what I normally use and the codec is Huffyuv(lossless) but even "no codec" (uncompressed) captures look crap!.

This is one weird sonofa..

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

I'm not familiar with cards, but with external devices pixcelation normally occurs on capture when you are trying to capture at too high a bitrate for the hardware (ie. exceeding 6000kbps through USB1.1 or 8000kbps over USB2). Is there a way to adjust the bitrate of capture of the card? You should still be able to get DVD quality capture with bitrates as low as 2000kbps and resolution set for 320X480.

Comment

• calhoun
                    • Aug 2003

No, bitrates can be adjusted for particular codecs( divX etc) but I have problems even before encoding just in capturing uncompressed or even before i capture just previewing the video looks crappy..

Comment

• Great2Learn
                      • Mar 2004

When encoding divx at various audio settings the Winfast program will
                      error out.

When I have time I will post a Flash/WMV quick movie on how
                      I have mine set up. I had issue on viewing my movies on laptop
                      vs the desktop, started installing lots of crap on my laptop and my
                      camtasia settings got all whacked.

I will post a new thread here under "WinFast XP / DiVX Capture Settings"
                      for optimal quality.

I want to be able to have a 1 hour capture movie/etc for under
                      700 or so to fit on a CD, or maybe make a VCD or SVCD.

Comment

• sfheath
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Sep 2003

Um .. what source are you capturing from?
                        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Great2Learn
                          • Mar 2004

Here it is... a sample..

I am capturing from the WinFast 2000 XP Expert using
                          the DiVX Codec and forgot what audio codec I am using.
                          But today I found out why the laptop wasn't playing audio.
                          It was Ulead Video/Audio codec that it had. On the
                          laptop while using Divx, XVid, fddplay, gspot didn't
                          recognize the problem/missing codec I took gspot to the
                          other pc and identified the codec than took the cdroms
                          from WinFast Ulead and installed the ULead Video 7 on
                          the laptop and audio is working.

-- edit

It is 4 AM and my head is a little blurred.
                          But here is the URL for the Winfast XP 2000 Expert Settings.
                          Give it few seconds to load. I would appreciate some to
                          comment on the "audio/video" codecs listed in this
                          and which are optimal to use for capture and distribute.

The last line (ViVx MPEG-2 Optimal Quality) of the
                          Capture Format Profile was added by me, trying
                          an testing settings out, which I was trying to use
                          the DiVx codec. All the above are default
                          settings by WinFast XP
                          Last edited by Great2Learn; 11 Mar 2004, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• sfheath
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by sfheath
                            Um .. what source are you capturing from?
                            Sorry Great2learn, I was asking calhoun. Sleep well friend.

and I have just noticed Calhoun's post date!!
                            Sincere apologies.
                            Last edited by sfheath; 11 Mar 2004, 11:13 PM.
                            This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Great2Learn
                              • Mar 2004

i did as well. I will start a new post asking opinion on the topic.
                              I did a search on WinFast and the restuls came along with this.

Comment

Working...