Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jer
    • Sep 2003

codecs issues!

I was wondering if someone could help me! I joined here because everyone seems to be really helpful to others...cool. Anyway, here is my issue; I installed tsunami 3.9.9 and it worked great for 1 day, then nothing would play in wmp9! I did some checking and found that sometimes tsunami doesn't work in wmp9, so I uninstalled it and it works like it used to...which is to say that I still am faced with the same problem I had before tsunami. Some video files work and some don't! Message says "error downloading codec". Then I did some more checking and found that microsoft (I refuse to capitalize it!) has codecs avail for 8.0

Anyway, I am very confused (ecspecially since I am new to the whole computer experiece) and have little knowledge about these things. I am however willing to take critisism and I am willing to learn...all responses are certainly appreaciated! Thanks
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

What sort of files are you trying to play with WMP? (i.e. What extensions do the files have? AVI? MPG? ASF?)

p.s. Try playing them in the older and more reliable WMP 6.4 (Run mplayer2.exe from the Run Command).

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

i use 3.9.9 for ages only i dont use any wmp version higher than 6.4

use ffdshows latest alpha as playbackfilter and maybe even crappy wmp7/8/9 will work or think about using decent players like wmp 64, bsplayer, zoomplayer or media player classic

Comment

• jer
        • Sep 2003

I think I found what you're asking about files?

Thanks for responding to my questions, I did some checking and it would seem that the files that will not play in wmp9 are *avi* &*wmv* (windows media files). Also while searching my hard drive I got yet another pop-up, which I declined...It read "in order to play this (or something like that) then you need "indeo, video codec-do you want it." I don't quite know. Anyway, thanks again! Also if I have wmp9 how do I get wmp6.4 & what is "ffdshows". If I sound rude, I don't mean to be-just green & wet behind the ears...At work, we call those "Ducks"
        Jer

Comment

• Qyd
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Oct 2002

to launch wmp6.4, just type mplayer2 in start->run
          to determine what codecs you need/have use GSpot
          it's better to install just the codecs that you need, but a codec pack would be an option (and tsunami pack IS better than other)
          try other media players (media player classic, BSPlayer, MV2Player), some of them can even play wmv (M$ format)

Comment

• jer
            • Sep 2003

I did as you suggested and ran mplayer2 from run menu. The result = "Unable to download an appropriate decompressor. (Error=80040200)"/and of course a "more help" came up suggesting I get help from microsoft web site! I do not want their help though...do I?
            thanks again
            Jer

Comment

• WildmanJoe
              • Jan 2003

Regarding that Indeo codec, try downloading it from the MS website (it's automatic). Turn off your firewall if you have one.

Try UncasMS's advice and use FFDShow for playback of your files.

You could also try MV2 Player

Comment

• Qyd
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Oct 2002

open the problem file in GSpot (http://www.divx-digest.com/software/gspot.html) and look what video codec it has

Comment

• jer
                  • Sep 2003

O.K. I will bite?

O.K. I tried the mv2 player and like wmp6.4 it played all audio and some video, but not all. This was the message:

avi:some of the streams in this movie are in an unsupported format (Div3 mp3)

for playing Div3 streams you need one of these filters:
                  -DivX_32.ax (DivX3 Video Decoder)
                  -divXdec.ax (DivXDecoder Filter)
                  -ffdshow.ax (ffdshowMPEG-4 Video Decoder)
                  -WinDivX.ax (moonlight WinDivX Decoder Filter)
                  -MinidivX.ax (Moonlight MiniDivX Decoder Filter)
                  -3ivXDSDecoder.ax (3ivXD4 Video Decoder)

Try these sites:http://divx.com

*another message read*
                  avi Unknown error (cvid)

*another read*
                  avi unsupported format (cvid PCM)

then I replied and I guess I took too long-cause I got booted off this site and off the net and couldn't send my reply (Needless to say this my 2nd such reply!). Then I tried to sign back on and guess what? I got a Runtime Error in the server. I uninstalled mv2player and recycled my modem (and checked It's status). Then I got a another error! So I called and tried again (this time it worked) and some dude told me about the server problems that they have been having lately! Well, that was a waste of a 30min hold time! Anyway then after I restarted the computer I got a DOS Prompt C:\Windows\iedll.exe
                  the dude didn't know why-just told me it was a driver for internet explorer. Can anyone help me. I'll go check out this Gspot next
                  thanks Jer

Comment

• jer
                    • Sep 2003

Thank you all/I can see again!

UncasMs, You Were Right! The ffdshow download worked. Thanks for your help, and everyone eles's. I hope this works and doesn't cause my system to crash anymore! I hope that this thread helps others and I hope that maybe one day I could help others too! Anyway, I really appreaciate all the help...
                    Jer

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

glad you solved your problem

as a sidenote: tsunamis filterpack 3.9.9 installs and uses (an older version though) of FFDSHOW as playbackfilter because ffdshows abilities are well known

Comment

Working...