Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BinaryJustin
    • Jan 2004

Creating DTS 5.1 Surround Sound from a stereo source

I've tried this myself and its been quite successful...

First off, you need to use a PCM WAV as opposed to any other format. Even the slightest disparity within an mp3 file will result in phasing.

Secondly, forget about Dolby - DTS 5.1 is the only real option to create Surround-Sound CDs.

I used Goldwave to create the different channels. If you don't have it, you should get it. Its free (there is a permanent nag screen but the program is fully-functional). Visit Goldwave.com to get the latest version.

01. Rip a CD track to a WAV file and rename it master.wav (you don't have to rename it, it just gets confusing!);

02. Open the master.wav in Goldwave;

03. On the Goldwave toolbar, click "Edit", "Channel"; "Left". The left-channel waveform will be highlighted;

04. Click "File", "Save Selection As..." and name the file "left_front". Change the "Save as type" to "Wave" and the File Attributes to "16 bit, mono, signed";

05. On the Goldwave toolbar, click "Edit", "Channel"; "Right". The right-channel waveform will be highlighted;

06. Click "File", "Save Selection As..." and name the file "right_front". Change the "Save as type" to "Wave" and the File Attributes to "16 bit, mono, signed";

07. At this point, the right-channel waveform will still be highlighted. On the Goldwave toolbar, click on "Effects" and then "Invert";

08. Click on "Edit", "Channel" and "Both". Click "File", "Save Selection As..." and name the file "right_back". Change the "Save as type" to "Wave" and the File Attributes to "16 bit, mono, signed";

You've just created a right-channel OOPS file! For more information on the OOPS effect, click here.

09. Close the file onscreen by clicking "File" and "Close" on the Goldwave toolbar;

10. Open the original WAV named master.wav;

11. On the Goldwave toolbar, click "Edit", "Channel"; "Left". The left-channel waveform will be highlighted;

12. On the Goldwave toolbar, click on "Effects" and then "Invert";

13. Click on "Edit", "Channel" and "Both". Click "File", "Save Selection As..." and name the file "left_back". Change the "Save as type" to "Wave" and the File Attributes to "16 bit, mono, signed";

That's the hard part over and done with!

14. Close the file onscreen by clicking "File" and "Close" on the Goldwave toolbar;

15. Open the original WAV named master.wav;

16. Move your mouse over Goldwave's toolbar icons until you find the "Low/Highpass" option and click it;

17. In the Filter options, click the radio button which says "Dynamic". The default option is for the filter is "Lowpass" but if this isn't already selected, make sure that it is!;

18. Change the initial Hz to 80 and the final Hz to 120 (you can just overtype the values). The default "Steepness" is 5, which is fine. Click "OK";

19. Click "File", "Save Selection As..." and name the file "lfe". Change the "Save as type" to "Wave" and the File Attributes to "16 bit, mono, signed";

20. Close the file onscreen by clicking "File" and "Close" on the Goldwave toolbar;

21. Open the original WAV named master.wav;

22. Move your mouse over Goldwave's toolbar icons until you find the "Maximise" option and click it;

23. Half the volume of the file by clicking the "New maximum" radio button, adjust the slider to 0.5 and then click "OK";

24. Move your mouse over Goldwave's toolbar icons until you find the "Parametric EQ" option and click it;

25. Choose the "Presets" option named "Treble boost" (its towards the bottom of the screen) and click "OK";

26. 19. Click "File", "Save Selection As..." and name the file "centre". Change the "Save as type" to "Wave" and the File Attributes to "16 bit, mono, signed".

You now have six (5 + 1) channels from an originally stereo source! Okay, its not perfect but its really, really convincing.

Just a few notes...

The left and right OOPS files are the only means of creating background "ambience" from a stereo source. They sound odd on their own, but great when mixed together.

The actual DTS protocol specifies that the Subwoofer frequencies should be no higher than 120Hz - I did do some reading on this.

I decreased the volume of the centre file, so that when I raise the treble, it doesn't distort. The treble sounds great raised on the middle channel because this is where vocals and guitars are usually placed. The OOPS files in the left and right background take care of any high frequencies which aren't slap-bang in the middle (such as panned tambourines and cow-bells).

Once you have your 6 files, you do need to mix them to a DTS WAV file - download the SurCode DTS CD demo at SurCode.com to hear how it wil sound.

So that's the recipe I use when converting stereo WAV files to 5.1 DTS Surround Sound CDs.
  • buckv
    • Mar 2004

How would I do this for the DVD Surcode? The sample rate is 48 not 44100.
    Brian

Comment

• The Maynard
      • Jan 2003

It should work with either one. I've tried this and it works great! Its about as good as you can get without any serious audio editing gear and the original recorded tracks.

Comment

• buckv
        • Mar 2004

I got the 48 to work but I couldn't get the DTS encode to work. I'm thinking the DVD-labs program doesn't support DTS.

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

how intersting........... simplest of the things is DTS = 6 discrete channels, stereo = 2 channels, u cant make 6 seperate channels from 2 channel.........Duh.

ever heard of prologic or prologic II, thats what make 2 channel sound to six channels. though u seems to make a dts audio but actually ur getting either a suedo sound, or somthing close to prologic sound at the end.
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• mobin.aca
            • Mar 2006

How can i convert video files ??

Comment

• albireo
              • May 2010

contact

dear binary jastin
              how can i mix the new 6 files of dts wav to one?
              please,send me a reply....
              freeoncola.

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

you will need something like surcode or dts master audio suite

Comment

• fubar4u
                  • Sep 2010

thanks for the channel separation by using gold wave, what kind of dvd authoring software is needed to author the music video file with dts 5.1 sound, i have tried with convertxtodvd but the the final video file is in ac3 sound instead of dts.

Comment

• fubar4u
                    • Sep 2010

i mean encoded with surcode dvd-dts music video file

Comment

• RWX877
                      • Mar 2011

DTS sound

I have tried the method and it works for front, center and sub channels; however the back channels are completely phased out.
                      The master tracks were made from a stereo LP.
                      Know any reason for that?

Comment

Working...