Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MMG
    • Nov 2001

Video editing gurus please read...

I recently had the need to trans-code, or re-encode some Windows streaming media files (videos with the .wmv extension). I looked for a simple program to do that for me at my favorite video editing website: http://www.divx-digest.com and was surprised to find that there wasn't a program to help me. My main question is wondering if there is a program that is capable of de-coding .wmv files back to uncompressed .avi files. Since I HAD to start with .wmv files and convert them to .mpg's, I tried several things and was finally successful, although it took several programs to do it. I'll gladly share what I did, but if there is one program that will do it all, I don't want to waste words here in describing how I did it. I did determine that the problem lies in the sound portion of the .wmv files, and all the programs I tried would either lock up, crash, or give me error messages when I attempted the de-coding. Gurus, help me out here, and if need be, I'll describe exactly what I did!!!
    Thanks,
    Joe (MMG stands for Mix Master General, as I've been involved with remastering poorer quality live audio recordings of several bands.)
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

it might have been helpfull to at least let us now which ways/tools you tried and were not pleased with!

otherwise we might waste our times listing methods that didnt do the trick for you!

Comment

• MMG
      • Nov 2001

Yes, much sorriness. I should have just listed my method. First, I rip just the video only into an mpg using tmpgenc. Then I take the original .wmv file and just change the extension to .acm (I do believe that is correct, but it's been a few weeks since I trans-coded). Easy CD Creator version 5 recognizes it and can convert the audio to a .wav file. Then I join the audio and video back together as an .avi file using Viftual Dub. Any commets/suggestions would be appreciated, and I thank you for your help.

Joe (MMG)

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

virtualdub should be the tool in need.

read more here

Comment

• MMG
          • Nov 2001

Even when I use the earlier versions of Virtual Dub; the ones that are supposed to be able to handle Windows streaming media files, I have found that the program does not recognize all .asf/.wmv files. I'll keep doing it the way I described as I have found it to work 100% of the time so far. Of course, I'll keep looking on http://www.divx-digest for the program entitled WMV&ASF2AVI. Hey, I'll write the program myself!!! In one paragraph or less, can you teach me how? (Just kidding).

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

sorry no

i am a dumbass when it comes to coding

good luck anyway

Comment

• Hippie
              • Nov 2001

As far as I know there is not any software or way to actually "un-encode" the video back to it's uncompressed original. You may be able to manipulate a little but when you recieve a encoded/compressed file you can't recover the frames, pixels and other various bits the codec discards as part of the encoding process. Especially when it comes to editing I have to explain to my clients that I have to have the original for the best quality, there is now way to make up for it if you don't have it.

Hope this helps a little

J

Comment

Working...