Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mhs
    • Feb 2002

DivX;-)/MPEG : Some doubts!

I use WinCoder to capture my analogic VHS films. It converts to MPEG1/MPEG2 in real time. My intend is convert them to MPEG4 videos, but I have some questions:
    1. Wich one (Mpeg1 or 2) is the best format to capture (Quality)?
    2. VirtualDub and MPEGFlask can not open the MPEG2 files, just the MPEG1 files, Why? Is there a way to fix it?
    3. Is there difference in quality between differents programs for capturing in MPEG? so what do you recomend?
    4. I heard about conversion with DivX in real time, during the capture, is it good? better than the procedure I do?

Any tip is useful
    Thanks
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

opening mpeg1/2 files with nandub/virtualdub has been talked about in some postings here just as quite a few pieces of advice on capturing (using virtualdub) have been pointed out in other threads here!

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"MPEGFlask can not open the MPEG2 files, just the MPEG1 files"

You are mistaken. Flask can most certainly accept MPEG2 files as input.

"Wich one (Mpeg1 or 2) is the best format to capture (Quality)?"

MPEG2 provides higher quality with higher compression ratio, although with an input source of VHS (lower quality than both MPEg1 and MPEG2), it probably doesn't make any difference.

"I heard about conversion with DivX in real time, during the capture, is it good? better than the procedure I do?"

Unless you have an extremely fast processor, you'll probably find that, at any decent resolution, you'll be dropping an unacceptable number of frames using this extra high compression codec in realtime.

Comment

• mhs
        • Feb 2002

Thank you setarip

You are correct, FlaskMpeg support mpeg2 files, but I´m having problems to encode mpeg2 files. that was posted at http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=3521.
        If you (anyone else) could help me I´ll be very pleased

Comment

Working...