Dv 1394 Capture Not Working After Xp Sp2 - Fixed

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ljraggy
    • Nov 2004

could you please explain what you mean by "getting back to XPSP2 DV .SYS files"?
    In the first post i mention 4 files concerned with the main issue at hand.

These files I say to replace from the SP2 Cab file with the older versions that you replaced with SP1

OK..... Your system sees the USB thats fine mine did the same thing when i first came across this issue.
    But the fact that your system sees the Camera points to another issue. Pluging the camera into another system would be a good idea. Make sure you use the same cable.

I myself had never had this problem....(Controlling Devices)
    I suggest looking at what other users are saying with your exact problem.

Not the fact that the DV Device can see the PC but fact that controlling the device from the PC & capturing the video is the main problem at hand

Try unloading from memory everything but what you need to capture the footage ie chat progs, antivirus, net connection etc etc .

Hope this is of some help

Merry Xmas
    Last edited by ljraggy; 22 Dec 2004, 04:59 AM.
    PC XP SP2 Modifed - Gigabyte DQ6, 2.4Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gig Ram, Nvidia 8800, 2xSATA 300gig, 2xSATA 120gig, 2x120Gig IDE, 1 Asus Light ScribeSATA, 1x Pioneer Sata , DV, blah blah
    DV - Panasonic NV-GS120 HD Divco Fusion Plus HDTV
    P/SCanon i865 - Canon EIDE20 - Canon 350D
    FAV.MEDIA SOFTWARE - VEGAS - DVD Architect- SHRINK - NERO - GSPot - AV NOT ME LMAO

Comment

• ljraggy
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Speedy2
      I can't remember if the firewire stopped working with SP1 or if it was with the SP2 upgrade.
      Since your PC dosent see the DV Device at all try repeating the the SP2 Fix in the First post and I suggest renaming the SP2 CAB folder like snowwy owl suggested

Do you hear the device connect & then disconnect when you plug it in?

Thats the Key... to this issue.

Also try unloading from memory everything but what you need to capture the footage ie chat progs, antivirus, net connection etc etc.

Thats all i can think of ATM

Dose anyone else have a suggestion?
      PC XP SP2 Modifed - Gigabyte DQ6, 2.4Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gig Ram, Nvidia 8800, 2xSATA 300gig, 2xSATA 120gig, 2x120Gig IDE, 1 Asus Light ScribeSATA, 1x Pioneer Sata , DV, blah blah
      FAV.MEDIA SOFTWARE - VEGAS - DVD Architect- SHRINK - NERO - GSPot - AV NOT ME LMAO

Comment

• ljraggy
        • Nov 2004

Some IDEAS for Capture ISSUES

Video Capture detects the camera, but the Play button does not work

This means that Video Capture does not have device control of your camcorder. If the camera is not in VTR (playback) mode, this could be because it is using the wrong device control software driver. Choose a different device control driver (e.g. Microsoft DV Cam and VCR) from the Video menu. Even if device control fails, you may still be able to use Video Capture to manually capture video by using your camcorder's controls to control playback.

Video Capture does not detect the camera

Ensure Smart Preview Video or Always Preview Video is selected on the Options menu.(if applicable)

If the Status Bar does not display your device when it is correctly connected and turned on, try turning the camera on first and then running Video Capture, or try running Video Capture first and then turning on the camcorder. The detection process should not take longer than thirty seconds

Dropped frames during capture or playback
        General advice
        Use a dedicated hard disk. Modern hard disks (EIDE, UDMA, SCSI, etc.) can all handle DV capture and playback. Faster disks that spin at 7,200 RPM are recommended. Most importantly, you should always capture to a dedicated, physically separate hard disk. Dedicated means that it is used primarily for storage purposes and does not have any applications on it that may interrupt the capture process. Physically separate means that Windows is installed on a different disk. This is not the same as a different partition on the same disk. Windows frequently needs to write to the hard disk it is installed on, and this can interrupt the capture process. Actually, Windows will write to the disk specified in your Virtual Memory settings. Make sure this location is physically different from your capture hard disk. See Windows Help for more information.

Defragment your video capture hard disk.

Do not run any other programs during capture. You should not be doing anything else with your computer during capture. Other programs can easily interrupt the high rate of data flow to the hard disk during capture that can cause dropped frames. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and view the Task Manager to see a list of applications that are running. Any unnecessary operations (e.g. most applications other than Explorer or Systray) can be stopped by selecting the process and clicking the End Task button.

From Sony Help Files

Comment

• Speedy2
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ljraggy
          Since your PC dosent see the DV Device at all try repeating the the SP2 Fix in the First post and I suggest renaming the SP2 CAB folder like snowwy owl suggested

Do you hear the device connect & then disconnect when you plug it in?

Thats the Key... to this issue.

Also try unloading from memory everything but what you need to capture the footage ie chat progs, antivirus, net connection etc etc.

Thats all i can think of ATM

Dose anyone else have a suggestion?
          I have tried all the suggested solutions to no avail. A buddy of mine suggested uninstalling SP2 and reinstalling SP1. I think SP1 worked great for me on two computers.(laptop and desktop) I don't think memory is a problem as I have 1 gig of memory and never had any problems with anything before. Processing power isn't a problem either as I have a AMD 3400+ and it kicks ass. I think I'll take my friends suggestion and will post results. I ready tried just uninstalling SP2 without much luck. I don't want to wipe the drive and reinstall XP Pro so I hope I can figure this thing out.

I also do not hear the connecting and disconnecting.

Speedy2
          Last edited by Speedy2; 22 Dec 2004, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Floppy

I think that people that upgrade from sp1 to sp2 should really slipstream the sp2 onto a new xp home installation disk...

This will ensure a stable installation of windows upgraded as it installs...

It resolved for me several issues I had with USB 2.0 devices and overall program stability wilst working under windows xp sp2...

Slipstreaming a Service Pack, is the process to integrate the Service Pack into the installation so that with every new installation the Operating System and Service Pack are installed at the same time.

Comment

• DMW
              • Dec 2004

OK, This is getting stupid now.

I formatted and reinstalled xp (no service packs). I connected my Canon DV, windows found it, installed the drivers then asked me if i wanted to open movie maker. I did and I got an error message about the device being in use or the output format not being supported. WTF is going on????

I am totaly lost here.

If it was a prob with the cam or the cable would I still have control (FF & RWD etc etc) ??

HELP !!

Comment

• Floppy

Slipstream my friend the answer is slipstream...

Comment

• JerDrvr
                  • Dec 2004

DMW,

Try another editing program. I recommend Sony Vegas. Download the trial version and see if your computer behaves any different. WMM2 caused me great stress as well but for me it was problems with transferring video back to my camera. The video would "hiccup" every few seconds. The final fix came when I switched editing programs.

Godspeed!

Comment

• DMW
                    • Dec 2004

I have solved the problem with capturing DV from my Canon MV550i.
                    I will tell you the answer (incase anyone else is having probs) as long as nobody laughs.

As I said in my earlier post, I could control the camera via the pc but no matter which program I used I got an error when ever I tried to capture. I tried the old drivers, I tried another PC, I tried on-board firewire and PCI, I even formatted one of my drives and tried a pre SP version of XP, none of this made any diff.
                    Out of desperation I phoned Canon (who where not very helpful) and explained all this to them and asked if there was anything else that could give me a problem when trying to capture. They went through all the things I had done and still no idea.
                    Deciding it must be a prob with the firewire cable or camera I bought a new cable today, still the same thing. GRRRRRR.

Now I dont know what made me do this (probably because I had tried everything else) but I noticed that I had recorded my movie in ESP mode, the MV550i has ESP, SP, LP and ELP modes. I swiched to SP mode and tried again, OMG, at last I got a different error, it captured but this time it said the captured file was corrupt. I put in a different tape, one that had been recored in SP mode and tried again. SUCCESS.
                    So all this time it was just that I was trying to use the ESP mode of the camera. Now dont you think Canon would have know that it would not have worked????

Anyway, thank you for your help guys, I hope this will help some other poor soul who is at their wits end.

Comment

• JerDrvr
                      • Dec 2004

It does amaze me how weak tech supporters can be with troubleshooting there own products. I guess they are so knowledgeable they can't see the trees in the forest.

Comment

• doitplease
                        • Jan 2005

My PC came shipped with SP2 and does not have sp1.cab files. Where can I get those 4 sys files to fix the problem?

Comment

• Backspace
                          • Jan 2005

My problem is that the video is choppy and the sound is skipping. Is this the common problem, with SP2?

Comment

• Backspace
                            • Jan 2005

What other problems are people having with SP2? Will USB2.0 solve a choppy video problem?

Comment

• joelp
                              • Jan 2005

I have read all these posts with great interest, and have tried everything suggested here with no success. Curiously enough, the only thing that works for me (that I don't see in this thread) is rebooting with the camcorder on. It probably has no bearing on the subject, but I have a JVC GR-D33U. I have not yet tried reinstalling XP with only SP1. Another suggestion I have see in another forum is only using firewire cards with TI chipsets, which makes sense to me, as the drivers appear to be TI. I only have a cheap generic firewire card, and don't know what chipset it has, but it's probably not TI. I will mention that when I bought the camera, I bought a lovely-looking $25 1394 cable at radio shack, which I first tried on my laptop which has a mini 4 pin 1494 port, with absolutely no success. When I bought the cheap firewire card for my desktop computer, I tried the RadioShack cable, but it didn't work at all. I then tried the ugly cable that came with the firewire card, and if I reboot with the camcorder on, it works. I'm keeping my eyes open for another firewire card with a TI chipset to see if that solves the problem.

Comment

• Phantadla
                                • Feb 2005

No autoplay when JVC connected (1394)

When connected, icon appears in system tray but windows autoplay does not appear. If I click on the icon, it appears but only some programme options are there and one option has question marks. If I select an option, it does not connect to programme.
                                If I go into programmes (WMM, Power Prod/ Dir etc), I can get it to function. But how can I get it back to autoplaying- I don't know if it was SP2 installation (it works on machines with SP2 pre-installed) or when I loaded Studio 8.

Comment

Working...