Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andrew
    • Mar 2002

Extracting audio samples from DVD

I have recently been looking into extracting audio samples from a dvd (built in drive on my pc, not via the audio out of a normal dvd player) and would like a few pointers.

I am currently using Windows XP home. Not sure whether this matters but thought I'd give some background. Hard drive and memory and processor speed aren't a problem.

The idea is to extract the audio sample from the dvd via mp3, mpeg or wav file...whichever is easiest really. Upon lifting the high quality audio (dialogue) from the desired film (which a dvd should have), i can then use one of the variety of pc based music programmes to chop & change as desired. What i can do, is review or listen to the various files until i find what i want to sample and then hopefully copy it and edit it myself.

Is it as straightforward as this?

Firstly, I am aware there is software to rip dvd's and convert files such as `ac3decode821', `cladDVDXP13', `GUIv0.20j' or `vStrip_08f_css' which i d/loaded but am not sure the best way to extract the desired audio samples?

As I'm not fully aware of the structure of dvd's, I was going to ask a further question - Because dvd's share a variety of enhanced and special features, does this mean (as they have different languages programmes) that the spoken dialogue of the film is layered over the film scores and noises created for the film (sound effects, etc) or is this all in one combined sound file?

Obviously, from a sampling point of view (for use in music production or even thrown into a sampler via .wav for a dj set - my desired use), if the dialogue was seperate this would be a dream for sampling but is probably not the case but would be interesting to know?!?

Anyway, I'll leave it there before I take up the entire page but would be very grateful of some feedback and advice and suggestions for the highest quality sampling that I am able to acquire via a digital format. Analogue audio sampling also useful as keen to learn the variety of methods for extraction of dialogue for utilizing in a musical capacity!

Thanks

• Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Not an expert in this, but here's an idea anyway.

Extract the DVD vob files into your HD using one of the rippers, Smartripper being my favourite. Then you can extract the audio off the DVD vob files using one of the few known methods, such as Graphedit or Flask6's Extract Audio to Wav... feature. Then, using an audio editing program, such as Cooledit, you can crop off the desired section of the audio and add whatever effects you wish to it. Just remember to keep a back-up of the original audio file in case you mess up.

The choices of audio 'type' (if I may call it so) is just the languages.

Comment

• andrew
      • Mar 2002

Thanks

Saw the reply a while back but forgot to thank you. Have yet to find the time to try this out as I'm sure it'll take a lot of fiffling about but will try it.

The software you suggested for extracting the audio off the vob files I have not yet downloaded...assuming they'r free somewhere I hope?!?

Thanks again and we shall see what happens.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

latest smartripper can be found on my page.

get vob2audio as well, since that tool is my ONE AND ONLY when it comes to extracting audio-streams from vobfiles (your dvd raw data)

when ripping with smartripper, make sure an option called create LST file is ticked - this is a must for vob2audio.

the usage (if needed at all, can be found in my guide of course)

good luck

Comment

• dearlilie

Another way

Try DVDCutter, it will help you a lot, can find it from
          http://www.******.com

Comment

Working...