Clear All
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
    it happened to me once or twice...this link here i found rather informative
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm
    Thanks for the link.

If you go to the Microsoft Knowledge article linked in that article - there is this:

A supported feature that modifies the product's default behavior is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to modify the behavior that this article describes. Apply it only to systems that specifically require it. This feature may receive additional testing. Therefore, if your system is not severely affected by the lack of this feature, we recommend that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this feature.
    As I don't have this problems with DMAs reverting to PIO mode - and this text is for SP1 - I still suspect that this problem is fixed in SP2.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

maybe an update did it? it hasn't happened in a very long time....i remember when it did though, like the post says the buffers were all over the place. when DMA is on they never move.
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jm1647
        An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
        • Apr 2005

I posted the same link for michna.com in June '05 here The Microsoft KB 817472 (link in the michna article) which has the revision date of Sep 15, '05 has in there for Windows XP:

Windows XP
        This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Comment

Working...