Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcrump
    • Nov 2005

How do I avoid compressing to DVD

I sure hope someone can help me with this because I've exhausted all of my resources.

The setup: I shoot underwater video with a Sony TRV-9 digital video camera in an underwater housing. I clip from about 20 hours of footage and build a one hour movie in Adobe Premiere Pro. When I burn the DVD, no matter what settings I use, Premiere still compresses the file. I SHOULD be able to put a one hour movie on a DVD with no compression. My goal is to have the DVD look as good as when I plug my camera straight into the TV. I have tried Adobe Encore with the same results.

Since everything is digital I should get the same image quality as what's on the DV tape. Or is this an incorrect assumption.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

a DV codec should be at around 200mb/min

this will be 200 x 60 => 12.000mb and thus wont fit on your dvd

and moreover the DV format itself must be converted to mpeg-2/dvd compliant format

Comment

• mcrump
      • Nov 2005

Are you saying that it's impossible to create a DVD as good as what I lay down on MiniDV tape?

Comment

• Floppy

If he's not saying it I will...

Yes it's very unlikly to fit DV quality footage equaling one hour on a mini DV tape to a DVD without compressing it further or a lot....

DV records at 3.6mb a second and DVD (mpeg2) at 1mb per second...
        Last edited by Guest; 18 Nov 2005, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• mcrump
          • Nov 2005

So.....what does it take to get DVD reaolution and clarity from my tapes. Am I using the correct software (Premiere Pro) or should I be using something like Canopus Procoder?

Comment

• Floppy

I never used either of but I was able to achieve excelent quality using Ulead VideoStudio 8...

However I would be willing to bet Adobe's soft will perform just as well...

It's all about the right settings.

Heck if you have Nero try a straight video conversion from the captured tapes to Nero Digital even if just for a ten minute sample to see what mpeg4 can achieve...

U can use Nerovision express and try mpeg2 at a higher bitrate see what you can do by experimenting with software you already have....

Talking about already having try WMM2 and check the results out.

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

i've encoded many dv tapes (which are at dvd res) to dvd with tmpgenc without a hitch, and could barely tell the difference in quality. takes a very long time though...
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

with a decent encoder it should be possible to create good mpeg-2 material

but so far i havent come across decent mpeg-2 output quality from editing tools like premiere, ulead, womble or pinnacle

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by UncasMS
                  havent come across decent mpeg-2 output quality from editing tools like premiere, ulead, womble or pinnacle
                  me neither, that's why i stick to tmpgenc and very rarely use any of them
                  "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Floppy

I hate to be the one rocking the boat but Ulead Videostudio 8 results are of excelent quality for me...

Addmitedly I prefer to use linear editing instead and keep all the quality but I only get to do that when the studio is not being used...

Go here and have a peek at some ideas and maybe a little more...

Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.

with the introduction of newer capacity DVD's soon the linear technology has great chance of becoming a standard and going on a diferent medium thus satisfying the more quality avid users amongst us...
                    Last edited by Guest; 20 Nov 2005, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Working...