Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mudd1568
    • Sep 2005

AVI format

I have a movie backed up on my hard drive but it is saved in avi format i am sure.I tried burning it to disk but wont play in dvd player would someone be able to shed some light on this for me.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

post the file info from virtualdubmod or gspot

what software did you use to convert to dvd? to burn?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• mudd1568
      • Sep 2005

i didnt use any software to convert it could u suggest something that is easy to use.

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by mudd1568
        i didnt use any software to convert it could u suggest something that is easy to use.
        What do u want to convert it to?And as Columbo suggested,post information about ur file.AVI files will not play in standalone players unless u have them in certain specific formats & even then not all players will play them.Ur best bet is to author these files to DVD format.Search the forums for some excellent guides on AVI to DVD.
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

If the file is in an avi format you will have to
          convert to dvd compliant mpeg 1/2 with a program such as mainconcept or Tmpgenc
          author the mpeg 1/2 with an authoring program such as Tmpgenc dvd author
          or your dvd player has to be able to play mpeg 4 format

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

mudd1568

this is my system

does this file play ok on the pc? post the file info from virtualdubmod (link for it in guide)
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• ropiropai
              • Nov 2005

I`ve been trying to do so with nero, but it doesnt work.. I asked the PC shop in my country and they told me that is not possible to convert an avi file in to a dvd readable one.. and that there are some dvd`s that can play avi files, but thoses are more expensives and hard to find

Comment

• ropiropai
                • Nov 2005

i tried to record an avi file and it worked with nero, but no all the avi files can be converted
                (at least some files couldnt be converted with nero and others can)
                the program (nero) has to recode the file (it takes about two hours for a complete movie) and then it can be played in a standar dvd

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                  NOT an online superstore
                  • Oct 2005

Yes, Nero causes problems with AVI's. Two options. One: convert using TMPGENC, like mentioned above, or download Ulead Video Studio and burn with that. Hope that helps you! If you want to burn with Nero, use Ulead to convert to MPEG-2 and then use Nero.
                  CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                  Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                  My DVD Collection

Comment

• Floppy

Nero...AVI problems.... these bugs.... I never experienced.... Nero Recode can handle it, if not Nerovision Express... The computer shop in your country know nothing about anything (tipical probably wanna make you pay for the help)... stick with us lad.... We can guide you step by step....

Start here

Last edited by Guest; 29 Nov 2005, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by ropiropai
                      I asked the PC shop in my country and they told me that is not possible to convert an avi file in to a dvd readable one.. and that there are some dvd`s that can play avi files
                      i advise you not to go there no more, that's 100% wrong. ANY avi you can put on dvd, may take some extra steps for some, but all can be done.
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                        It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                        • Nov 2003

I know this doesn't help, but it sounds like Mudd was under the impression that an AVI burned to a data CD or DVD would play on a standalone player without converting it to anything.
                        (See post #3 in this thread)

Don't we wish it was that easy!?
                        My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

yes but mudd never said he converted it or otherwise. either way it can be done---quite easily mind you.
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                            It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                            • Nov 2003

Did I misinterpret this? Mudd (the thread starter) said "I tried burning it to disk but wont play in dvd player..."

And Mudd also said:

Originally Posted by mudd1568
                            But seriously Columbo, I'd like to know what software you would use to accomplish the conversion of AVI to DVD.
                            Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 29 Nov 2005, 02:20 PM.
                            My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                              NOT an online superstore
                              • Oct 2005

Ahem, what I meant by the Nero problem is... videos saved in programs such as Pinnacle are "stubborn" you might say... what they do is cause errors in Nero by saying "no video data" so you can't burn them. Two simple fixes: Use virtualdub or Ulead to re-save the AVI's or just burn with Pinnacle.
                              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                              Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                              My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...