Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnc6802
    • Jan 2006

About Video Players... and contradictions

Hello everybody first... just a question about marketing and competence... it seems to be a serious competence between the different media players on the market and with the label of "this is the best media player" they compete each other and cause many conflicts... for example, I installe WMP 9.0 in order to play the .WMV but it doesn't play the .AVI (it began to play them when I upgraded the DirectX 8.01) and my BSPlayer doesn't play the .WMV etc

I installed DivX 6.0 but it cause some problems when I tried to play the VCD movies on BSPlayer (the image was rotated) and I had to install the 5.21 version and problem gone... BTW I think DivX doesn't play the WMV files...

Besides I have some videos on MPEG-4 and I can't play them ... I don't know what codec they use...

At the end the same question... Is there a Video Player who can play almost the 99% of the formats in the market????? (and there are a lot of formats...) Thanks
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

unintall all codec/codec packs through control panel-->add/remove programs, and install only the following:

Originally Posted by anonymez
    my list of what is needed regarding codecs/filters on any PC:

ffdshow - get it from http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiw...etting+ffdshow

nvidia purevideo codec (you can substitute windvd/powerdvd here) -for dvd's/mpeg-2 (i use dscaler instead, IMO it beats everything else)

real alternative - so you don't have to install 'realone player'

quicktime alternative - so you don't have to install quicktime

media player classic - extremely stable and fast media player. best player ever.

oggDS filter - directshow filter for ogm/ogg

windows media player 10 if you wish

that's it. install nothing else, especially codec packs
    VLC (videolan) player is also an excellent media player

ps. this thread might interest you http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=55025
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

media player classic + power dvd is what i use

FFDSHOW is my universal codec solution and i've suggested it for years now

Comment

• johnc6802
        • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by UncasMS
        media player classic + power dvd is what i use

FFDSHOW is my universal codec solution and i've suggested it for years now
        Thanks for your suggestion... I already have WMP 9.0 and BSPlayer for the AVI files... I'm thinking to change Divx codec for ffdshow MPEG-4.... I don't have DVD driver in my computer... yet

Comment

• johnc6802
          • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by anonymez
          unintall all codec/codec packs through control panel-->add/remove programs, and install only the following:

VLC (videolan) player is also an excellent media player

ps. this thread might interest you http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=55025
          Very good suggestion friend... I already tried some variations... I installed ACE Mega Code Pack and I uninstalled because too many codecs... after that I tried the VLC player and it play every video I have (including MPEG4 SVCD) but uninstall my DirectX 7.0 with another problems... The RadLight player and the Core Media Player (TCMP) are very good too but I'm still using WMP 9.0 (thinking on upgrade to 10 when I install XP...) and BSPlayer...

I wonder if installing FFDShow MPEG-4 instead of Divx 5.21 codecs will be better.. what do u think about?

The problem is only with the SVCD files I have in my HD (they are MPG files but with MPEG-4 compression)

Everybody choose Windows Media Classic instead of Windows Media Player 9.0 and I think it is but the second one have a good media library and files manager...

Comment

• Derree
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Jul 2005

hmmm yeah I have media player 10 and I thought it was the.avi's I had downloaded that didn't work..so it is the media player itself that won't play avi?
            sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
            good
            -------------------------------------------

Comment

• johnc6802
              • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by Derree
              hmmm yeah I have media player 10 and I thought it was the.avi's I had downloaded that didn't work..so it is the media player itself that won't play avi?
              I'm totally agree with you... altough WMP play the AVI files it's not the best player for them... in my opinion the BSPlayer is better... but the Internet is full of WMV files... between us the better video quality I ever saw is Quicktime altough it doesn't play many other formats than .MOV in early versions to 7.0 of course... BTW it has increased very much the interface with iTunes and Quicktime 7.0

At the end one sentence is building... "There isn't a marvelous Media Player"

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

I wonder if installing FFDShow MPEG-4 instead of Divx 5.21 codecs will be better.. what do u think about?
                ffdshow is better
                Last edited by anonymez; 14 Jan 2006, 01:17 AM.
                "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• johnc6802
                  • Jan 2006

[quote=anonymez]
                  I wonder if installing FFDShow MPEG-4 instead of Divx 5.21 codecs will be better.. what do u think about? [/QUOTE

ffdshow is better
                  OK... next week I will install ffdshow MPEG-4 instead of DivX 5.21... and I told you later...

Comment

Working...