How about starting an FAQ and Guide for watermarks ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harishkumar09
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jan 2006

How about starting an FAQ and Guide for watermarks ?

One of the commonest applications that amateur home video makers are looking for is watermarking their videos.Don't you think it will be a good idea to put to gether an FAQ for watermarking for commonest video container types and softwares used.

A step by step guide that helps users to add watermarks to their home videos will be most useful.

Setarip has already given such a guide to *.avi files using virtualdubmod.

But as it is well known most files out there are mpeg-1 and mpeg-2.

So it will be very useful if a thread is created guiding new users how to add watermarks to mpeg-1 and mapeg-2 using TMPGenc and FlaskMpeg.
    www.vaishnavism.org
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Don't you think it will be a good idea to put to gether an FAQ for watermarking for commonest video container types and softwares used
    not really. most people hate watermarks, they tend to annoy/distract the viewer.

flaskmpeg is horribly outdated, use something else, like virtualdubmod.

you can add watermark by using avisynth. load donald graft's vdub plugin & frameserve to tmpgenc
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• techreactor
      Banned
      • Jul 2005

I agree with Anony, I havent seen many posts for "watermarks" (except for yours).

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

Don't you think it will be a good idea to put to gether an FAQ for watermarking for commonest video container types and softwares used.
        NO

everybody familiar with homevideo could make use of features like picture in picture and thus create any kind of "logo" he/she wants

applying logos to videos later on smells like adding some logo to content you didnt create yourself and that's more than annoying and a pain in the butt

But as it is well known most files out there are mpeg-1 and mpeg-2.
        you're not supposed to add logos to *files out there*
        Last edited by UncasMS; 15 Jan 2006, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• jeo
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Feb 2004

this is one idea,not one guide:

start the video with fadein..................(start the music here )
          then appear some like this......... ....this video is....

COPIRATED........ .....by (your name here (blinking/flashing)).......fade out(audio&video).

seconds later the movie start!

cool?
          still sending greens(you can't see but can feel)

geriatric rock fan

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Not sure what you mean there, but Ulead Video Studio can add watermarks very easily to every editable video type out there, even moving overlays. You can choose the size and placement of the watermark, and its duration. Not sure why you want watermarks though, I have downloaded TV episodes before that have encoded by certain people and they put their big watermark right on top of the theme song... how annoying!
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
            My DVD Collection

Comment

• harishkumar09
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Jan 2006

I do agree I wish to add watermarks to content captured by my TV card.I think I made that clear somewhere else.The reason ofcourse is to acknowledge the provider of service.Its a well known fact that TV episodes from Friends and other famous serials are freely captured and downloaded and exchanged and shared all over the world , usually using P2P networks.

I don't don't know if it is illegal or unethical but I guess since the studios themselves have added their watermarks , its obvious where the content comes from and I am not looking to removing or altering their watermarks and make mine very well known or even overlay mine over the studios's.

I just want people to be able to know where to get it from.

Many people who missed episodes on TV download it from the net.I have never heard any large complaints from TV companies or the content producers themselves over it.Unlike say for example the way music companies are making a big hullabaloo and rightly so over the exchange of their works over P2P networks.One possible reason could be the TV stations themselves get some publicity when their content is circulated , esp when you see internet has a huge audience.

I am well aware of the distraction and annoyance of watermarks.That is why I am looking forward to adding watermarks that last for a short time when nothing very interesting is happening on the screen.I also want it to be displayed in a very light fashion , like say oil on paper , so really the movie shows through and audience is just able to make out whats being displayed.I know if I annoy audiences , it will backfire.

Secondly , I will be buying a handycam quite soon.I plan to make my own movies and mostly natural scenery.Hence I will be needing to know how to do it.With Open Source software , its better to know things in advance as there is a lot to learn before you can go ahead and do it.So I am asing the questions right away.I am eager to use my own content rather than distribute other people's and share credit.
              www.vaishnavism.org

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

TV Episodes are not captured by a studio. I have done it myself. They are done by individuals, and those who are obcessed with attention put a personal watermark on it - like ones that say "Ripped by [your name here]"

Now, are you planning on ripping TV shows and distributing them? Even if you want watermarks - try a trial of Ulead Video Studio, which does them easily. May I suggest an easier way, just put a screen saying "Ripped by soandso" for three seconds before the episode starts, and just have it fade into the ep. So someone could remove it, but unless they are an idiot, they would just leave it there. And it is not as distracting.
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• harishkumar09
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Jan 2006

I know they are not ripped by studios but by individuals.I meant the watermark of the TV channels themselves and for some serials , the TV channels themselves are the producers of the serial and hence I referred to the TV channels as studios.

Actually I am not that particular in the watermarks , and was only doing what you are saying using --- of putting a screen saying "ripped by so and so" for 3 seconds and giving credit to the original content producers as well.I used to do this using WMM.This way , people had the choice of removing it as well.But the problem is WMM saves to wmv format and bloats the file size by almost 20% - 30% .

If the same thing --- Infact I would be content with ending credits for 2-3 seconds than right at the beginning --- could be done with flaskmpeg and output to mpeg-1 ,I would be more than happy.I just need info on how to merge a BMP file to the end of the ripped content that stays there for 2-3 seconds using flaskmpeg.
                  www.vaishnavism.org

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

Oh yeah the TV studios do that so that you know what channel you are watching, and so that you know what channel that show is on (say you are watching it at a restaurant)

Try Ulead for putting an image file before/after a video, or as a watermark. (www.ulead.com and download trial of VideoStudio 9)
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• harishkumar09
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Jan 2006

Actually adding BMP files into a stream or watermarks also gives oppurtunity to add humorous comments --- ppl know where it comes from...

And I am not into regular ripping and distribution of TV episodes.Just some vey good programs , usually interviews with famous personalities , I do this for my own use and also for those who would like to have them...

I don't charge any money or cash neither do I sell ripped content...
                      www.vaishnavism.org

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

Yeah OK, try Ulead nonetheless
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment