X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

Printer not printing good

i have a hp deskjet 940c and i just refilled the ink cartridges for the third time since i got this thing. it seems every second line is faint and has like an imaginary white line through the middle of all the letters (like someone crossing out entire lines) i have to play around and print all kinds of crap just to sort of "wet" it to get it working, even then it's poor. every second line almost perfect.

the cartridge was tested ok at the store--what gives? anything i can do before i take it back? last time they would dry a tad if it sat for a week without out use, but 1 or 2 lines as a test fixed it everytime.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

• Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

thanx chewy, i tried the steps in there and now it's even worse! lol. i'm going to take it back to the store. how many times can these things be filled?
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

How do you refill? I have seen refill syringes but how do they get into the cartridge. I have a HP 960 and the cartirdges are £50 for both colour and black.

I would love to get another Epson as they are among the best for photo and borderless printing and have cheap cartridges. However, the print heads on Epsons have always been built into the printer and they get clogged up all the time. I have never had that with my HP.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by nwg
          How do you refill? I have seen refill syringes but how do they get into the cartridge. I have a HP 960 and the cartirdges are £50 for both colour and black.

I would love to get another Epson as they are among the best for photo and borderless printing and have cheap cartridges. However, the print heads on Epsons have always been built into the printer and they get clogged up all the time. I have never had that with my HP.
          hey nwg

i 'm not sure what they do to re-fill as i go about in the mall while it's done. i just see some sort of port with tape over it on the bottom ( a nice job too)but this is weird to me as it's the first time it's happened. i'm thinking it might be time to get new ones. i wish i had the answer you were looking for--sorry buddy
          Columbo moments...

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

I have always had good luck with wallyworld's refills when I could find them

Comment

• photo_angel2004
              Queen of Digital Video
              Queen of Digital Video
              • Jan 2004

@LT.

If you are refilling the cartridge it is possible there may be air pockets from the refilling.

Also you can only refill a cartridge a few times before it just wont work right again.

I don’t have the same printer that you do I use the Epson printers with my pc How ever I do have a HP color copier and the ink cartridges are very similar.

The HP cartridges are a bit trickier to refill then the Epson.

You may just have to go through the Heads cleaning utility a few times or many times until it prints right. Make sure that you do not over or under fill the cartridge.
              Last edited by photo_angel2004; 6 Mar 2006, 07:24 AM.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• tigerman8u
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2003

I read on another site that you can take a vcr or similiar tool, the one with a little sponge or foam on the end of a stick and dampen it with windex/ammonia to clean the print head/s. never tried it but the post stated it worked real good and the replies stated the same. IIRC HP has the print head on the ink cartridge so you might have nothing to lose trying it. good luck LT.
                ps staples had the epson all-in-one printer cx 3810 onsale for $90 with $30 instant rebate and $30 easy-rebate = $30 final cost. I got one for an extra printer. at that cost you can't buy the ink cartridges. don't know if they still have them at that cost but the $30 rebate is still on going.
                Last edited by tigerman8u; 6 Mar 2006, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2004

Also another thing to think about when refilling and ink cartridge as soon as that cartridge becomes empty you must fill it right away.

If an ink cartridge stay empty for too long there is always a residue of ink that is left in that cartridge and that residue will become dry and when you refill it at that point there will be small particles of that dry residue left if the ink that can cause clogs.

In that case throw it away and start with a fresh new cartridge.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

hey everyone--thanx for your help and ideas. i still haven't got to the shop,but i did try the cleaning thing. it's never been dry for more than about 5 days if that makes a difference. i've tried all the ideas from everyone, still sucks beyond belief. i'll keep ya'll posted
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                      Queen of Digital Video
                      Queen of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
                      hey everyone--thanx for your help and ideas. i still haven't got to the shop,but i did try the cleaning thing. it's never been dry for more than about 5 days if that makes a difference. i've tried all the ideas from everyone, still sucks beyond belief. i'll keep ya'll posted

Five days is all it takes.
                      You will need to use a new one

Comment

Working...