• Show
Clear All
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

I am hoping someone can help with DVD stand alone play

Hello,
    I am having trouble with my DVD player it seems that it is the lazer that is not clean. I have been running a memorx lazer cleaning disc and though it seems to have made a difference. It is still not great.

Out side of a cleaning disc is there any other way to take the player apart and clean it better or is there something better then just the cleaning disc.

Any help would be great.

I have a gut feeling that I am on borrowed time with this player. BUT I am sure going to try to make that time stretch the best I can.

Thank you,

Toshiba SD-6200 is the model
    Last edited by photo_angel2004; 8 Mar 2006, 12:42 PM.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **
  • MystDrg75
    • Feb 2006

i guess if you feel comfortable doing it you could take the cover off and clean the lens with a q-tip that has a small dab of cd cleaner on it. Does alot better job than a lens cleaner I feel. Make sure you use light pressure though so you dont knock the lens around to much. I havent done that with my stand alone dvd player but I do take apart my ps2 (whenever i start getting slow disk reads) once and a while and clean it that way. I have also taken apart my cd player and cleaned it that way. SO its something you could try.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

actually I have read a similar procedure used by a member over at cdfreaks except he's servicing his dvd burners, with the added cleaning and lubricating of the tracks/rails of the laser movement mechansim. Whew!

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by Chewy
        actually I have read a similar procedure used by a member over at cdfreaks except he's servicing his dvd burners, with the added cleaning and lubricating of the tracks/rails of the laser movement mechansim. Whew!
        WOW how do you do that?

I know I could take it in for a "tune up" but that almost what a new player costs. Hell I am just looking to make it play better untill it does go out.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

WOW how do you do that?
          very delicately, I have only disassembled and repaired one cd burner successfully myself, changed out the tray on a plextor premium. I just get trays open, then kill power, then blow out dust with air compressor.
          After that quits working I might disassemble.

Comment

• bill7621
            It could be worse.
            • Jun 2005

Originally Posted by photo_angel2004
            WOW how do you do that?

I know I could take it in for a "tune up" but that almost what a new player costs. Hell I am just looking to make it play better untill it does go out.
            If that's the case, what do you have to lose? The cover is just held on with some philips screws and once you get it off, you should be able to see the laser. Just be gentle when you clean it. If you're not comfortable doing this, have a friend do it for you. It won't be that difficult to do.
            Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed!

Comment

• photo_angel2004
              Queen of Digital Video
              Queen of Digital Video
              • Jan 2004

@bill7621,
              Ya what have I got to loose right. LOL I would not trust any of my friends to do such a thing unless it was one of my friends that knows how to build pc's even though it is not a pc they at least would have more of an understanding on how the thing was made.

Any ways I guess I am just trying to keep it alive I paid $800.00 for it back in 2000, well its not the same one I got back in 2000 I had the 5 year extended warranty and it was replaced under warranty 3 times. Warranty ran out on it almost a year ago now so considering what I paid for this I am going to try and keep her running. (this is also the first DVD player I have owned so she's my baby. ) LOL

Thanks for the replies!

If any one knows what would be the best kind of cleaner to use that would be great and also waht kind of lubricant would be safe for such a thing.
              Last edited by photo_angel2004; 8 Mar 2006, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

high quality q tips, denatured alcohol(sparingly), after cleaning the
                rails, lubricate with hq (eg, sewing machine) oil, very little.
                try the air trick first, then when it's ready to give up the ghost, try the
                disassemble rebuild. New quality dvd players are so cheap now!

the air compressor trick is really easy, I do it with my dvd burners regularly

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2004

@Chewy I will give that a try. Thanks!

Wish me luck. LOL

Comment

Working...