VHS is choppy when recorded to dvd-help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickLomax
    • Mar 2006

VHS is choppy when recorded to dvd-help!

I bought a stand alone dvd recorder and am in the process of recording my old vhs tapes to dvd. The shows were recorded over ten years ago in SLP mode on vhs. When I record the vhs onto a dvd, some scenes are choppy, like frames may be missing or is it something else? Any suggestions?
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

Hello,

I do not know what format those stand alones record in.
    If you could tell us the file format that the DVD's are in that may help a lot.

For recording VHS to DVD you may want to conside a capturing card or divice to rip the video on to your computer then convert the files to a DVD compatible format. To begin with.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• RickLomax
      • Mar 2006

I'm a novice when it comes to video.. the recorder is a Lite-On LVW5005 and looking at the specs it records in MPEG2. The specs are at this address:

Does the MPEG 2 tell you anything? THANKS!

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

MPEG2 is a start. That is a Super Video CD type format.

To make that a true DVD video file you will need to rip that video to your hard drive on your computer. And then convert to a DVD Video file format, other wise you will get SVCD quality.

now I could be wrong on this but you may just be better off capturing the video from the VHS to your compter and doing the whole thing from scratch again.
        The type of DVD recorder that you are using will never give you a true DVD quality.

here are some links that may help you in converting the files.

Lt. Columbo made a very good guide to converting these fies there is also a list of programs that you will need and the links where they can be downloaded.

Comment

• moonrocks
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Jul 2005

Make sure you're using good quality media, maybe Verbatim or Taio Yuden. And although it will write to both +R and -R discs it may have a built-in preference for one or the other, so experiment a bit with your media. That can be a big factor.

You didn't mention what quality mode you were using for recording but if you recorded at the 4 or 6 hour time try dropping down to the 2 or even 1 hour time. Make sure you finalize your disc, then see how it plays on a DVD player or your PC.

Also, very old, poor quality VHS tapes are the hardest to digitize and some DVD recorders or capture cards just won't give you good results with them. If you want the best possible quality from these tapes you may, as Photo Angel suggested, want to look at another way of converting them. It could be a easy as upgrading to a better quality DVD recorder. Good Luck

"Det blåser også her." - Erik den røde

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by photo_angel2004
            MPEG2 is a start. That is a Super Video CD type format.
            It sounds like it is already recorded to DVD not a CD. Liteons can record to DVD in DVD format and CD in VCD/SVCD format. It is a DVD Recorder for the TV.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
              Queen of Digital Video
              Queen of Digital Video
              • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by nwg
              It sounds like it is already recorded to DVD not a CD. Liteons can record to DVD in DVD format and CD in VCD/SVCD format. It is a DVD Recorder for the TV.

Yes I understand that but he was worried about the quality and the MPEG 2 may explain the lack of quality.

Comment

Working...