Clear All
  • majestic_cheese
    • May 2006

I'll try that. Thanks.

Comment

• soup
      Just Trying To Help
      • Nov 2005

There is also another program you can run from safe mode, AutoRuns.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

remove the harddrive and put it into another pc in order to burn your data

what about admin access - do you have it by now or not yet?
        if not: get hold of something like ERD COMMANDER to be able to reset the password for an existing admin account on that machine

Comment

• celtic_druid
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Dec 2005

Any of the numerous linux live distros might be of use to backup the data. They won't be at all effected by a windows trojan either.

Comment

• majestic_cheese
            • May 2006

Thanks guys, but I have to admit that I don't even understand what some of the suggestions mean. I do have admin access -- I get it from the other account on the PC. I ran AutoRuns but did not see the significance of the report -- nothing popped out at me as not belonging, though. I'd be happy to post the report, but it seems rather hard to read as a text file.

I tried system restore from safe mode this time. It didn't work.

Is there some way I can find out what's turning off the copy capability of my DVD device so I can fix it, make the copies, and then reformat? I can't use another PC, unfortunately, as what I create is privileged and confidential attorney-client work product, and I can't give anyone else access to it.

Comment

• majestic_cheese
              • May 2006

Thought I'd bump this, just in case.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

I can't use another PC, unfortunately, as what I create is privileged and confidential attorney-client work product, and I can't give anyone else access to it
                that answer was spurious

catch 22,
                I do stuff like that from time to time, I set it up and let my client
                do the actual transfers with loose supervision, I consider my ethics equal to any lawyer or doctor and probably superior to most.

Your primary duty is to safeguard your clients data, soliciting professional help.
                Last edited by Chewy; 2 Jun 2006, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• vw56german
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Jun 2005

Am I looking at this to simply? I know having DMA enabled is the preferred way to burn, but in an emergency wouldn't booting in safe mode, closing any and all unneeded applications to maximize system resources be able to do the job? I know the OP stated his software does not want to burn without DMA but couldnt another application do the burning? What file type are these videos contained in, avi, iso, vob? Could installing a new burner with an OEM version of Nero be a possible solution? Burn at 1x and devote all system resources possible to the burn, cross fingers and pray......Or am I just out in left field??

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

would it work? Uncasms's suggestion would kill 2 birds enabling a good virus/trojan scan and data salvage? If the data is in encrypted private my docs, he's in big trouble.

Comment

• majestic_cheese
                      • May 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
                      that answer was spurious
                      I won't tell you how to do your job, and don't tell me how to do mine.

Your primary duty is to safeguard your clients data, soliciting professional help.
                      Not when I do not have sufficient technical knowledge to determine whether the information will be retained in some manner on the PC used to transfer the data.

Please, don't offer me advice (or even worse, instruct me) as to the proper degree of care I'm supposed to offer my clients, because you don't know what you are talking about. Get over yourself. I could understand someone coming at me with heavy duty attitude if they had actually helped me, but so far no one here on this digital video forum has told me how actually to turn DMA back on my PC (or even told me why that's not possible -- that's my one simple question, and it's been ignored), so you'll forgive me if my tolerance is a bit low for snotty and uninformed attitudes on my profession.

I consider my ethics equal to any lawyer or doctor and probably superior to most.
                      As you're not a lawyer, you really don't know what you're talking about. If you place privileged and confidential work product in a forum to which you cannot confirm that third parties will not have access, you are in breach of your obligations to your client.
                      Last edited by majestic_cheese; 5 Jun 2006, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

You are still missing the point, you just need to hire a professional computer tech to set up the hardware for you, you can be the only one who ever acceses the information, after all you know where it is on your computer.
                        or
                        Buy an external hard drive, they are cheap and transfer the info to it.

Comment

• celtic_druid
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Dec 2005

What was wrong with booting to linux and burning the imporant data to discs?

Comment

• hello people
                            Gold Member
                            Gold Member
                            • Apr 2005

Spyware and all that is bad news. Like someone said before...once your computer gets hit, the best thing to do is to reinstall.
                            music

Comment

Working...