X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phillip
    • May 2006

Computer Basics And Applications

Guys

Being to the forums has induced my interest on computers and I want to buy a basic book on computer applications (if this is what it is).....that way I can atleast be a step further....does anyone know which book I can buy...i need something not too technical for starters.....any suggestions?

I need basics like knowing what to do if my computer goes blank, identifying missing drivers, making sense of the file information, making sense of error messages, you know the lingo, stuff etc is this applications?

Please give me a good advise on how I can get started and where I can find an understandable basic book.
  • vw56german
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jun 2005

Books can be general or very specific as to what they are about. Here is a possiblity to get you started. (please dont take offence at the name, there is a whole series of books like this one)

From there you could find books on other specific things like using Microsoft word or Excell. The forums here have many guides to read for the programs in use. You could post general or specific computer related questions in the "General computing" forum and I know you will get some good answers.

Comment

• uufta
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Dec 2005

My first book for XP was "The Complete Idiots guide to Windows XP" 2nd Edition
      by Paul McFedries

(And it remains the closest to me next to my computer)

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

Dont take this the wrong way but the dummies books are good.

Computers for dummies, windows XP for dummies

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Phillip
          • May 2006

Thanks guys, this is a good for a start. So now I know what to do for starters.Wonderful I knew I would get something going if I ask you.

Just a quick question again, would doing this help me be able to get me to a level where I can also be able to read log files or is that now the next level? if it will not please do tell me how I can also get to the level where I can read a log file like I do a newspaper. I really wana get better at this

Comment

• vw56german
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Jun 2005

All reading and research will help you out. Here are a couple of threads from the site to check out.

burn log errors: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=57052

Reading threads the have logs attached and seeing the feedback will also teach you some about what is going on and how to interpret the logs.

and more good stuff here too:

Comment

• Phillip
              • May 2006

Me bought himself how to do everything with Windows XP, by Curt Simmons.....it even tells me how to install windows xp....thank you guys who knows I may just graduate from IT Grade R to IT Grade 0...ha ha ha

Comment

Working...