Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gator955
    • Nov 2005

Scratched dvd

I just received a movie from Blockbuster Online, a very difficult one to get. Well with my luck low and behold it's scratched. It took a month to get it and I don't want to go thru the headache. Is there anything I can do to fix it??? Is there anything that I can put on it to fool it into workin'???
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

if it won't play back on your set-top player for viewing, return it and demand a new one or a refund. you shouldn't be the one to fix damaged BB supplies....
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• RFBurns
      To Infinity And Byond
      • May 2006

Find someone with a shop bench grinder that has the soft white buffer wheel attached to it, use that to buff the surface. I have recovered many a scrached and dug in scratched discs using this method.

Warning tho....do not let the disc get too hot as you buffer it with the wheel, otherwise you will distort the surface too much and the optical block will not be able to focus in time as that area passes over the lens when compared to the other areas of the disc.

Good luck!

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• bill7621
        It could be worse.
        • Jun 2005

Originally Posted by RFBurns
        Find someone with a shop bench grinder that has the soft white buffer wheel attached to it, use that to buff the surface. I have recovered many a scrached and dug in scratched discs using this method.

Warning tho....do not let the disc get too hot as you buffer it with the wheel, otherwise you will distort the surface too much and the optical block will not be able to focus in time as that area passes over the lens when compared to the other areas of the disc.

Good luck!

Are you out of your mind????

We do understand your problem, gator. I agree with the LT. But, since you waited so long for it and don't want to screw around waiting for a replacement, try waxing it with a spray wax like Pledge or even try an auto wax. If that doesn't work, you could try rubbing it with toothpaste. If neither methods work, forget it, it's not worth the bother.
        Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed!

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

no kiddin. why waste your time fixing a disc you do not own just to watch it? i'd take that right back to BB and throw it across the counter and demand a new one immediately.
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
          (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Kabuchan
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Apr 2006

I agree with bill7621. Use the toothpaste. That's how I fix scratches in eyeglasses. And if it doesn't work, at least it isn't yours. Good luck!
            That was Zen, this is Tao

My Gallery

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

Take it back & make them go through the hoops to get you another one. After all you have waited this long, make them get it right.

Comment

• codajohn
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Jul 2005

I had the same problem. However, it was with Netflix.
                I had a damaged DVD. I went on-line and checked the box for damaged and send another. I put the DVD in the mail the next day. A little while later I received another DVD. I received the same damaged DVD as before. I recognized the damaged section. I called Netflix and spoke to a costumer service rep. I expressed my anger that they would put a damaged DVD back into circulation. I was told to hold onto the damaged one until the new one arrived. A new DVD arrived shortly . I would call their customer service number and complain. You can find it under contacts. The squeaky wheel will get the oil.
                CJ
                My DVD Collection
                Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• bill7621
                  It could be worse.
                  • Jun 2005

You're right on that coda. I complained about getting the wrong disc repeatedly and they gave me credits.
                  Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed!

Comment

• jm1647
                    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                    • Apr 2005

An interesting topic about getting data off a scratched DVD is here

Edit I'm pretty sure with BB they will immediately try to ship the same DVD if you tell them it was damaged upon arrival. And the same thing if you have not received a DVD in 3 days, you can tell them to ship the same DVD or a different one
                    Last edited by jm1647; 23 Jun 2006, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• phishman1
                      • Jan 2006

scratched disks from Netflix/Blockbuster

I have only received a disk from Netflix or Blockbuster that was *not* completely scratched to hell a few times in 3 years...

Comment

• RFBurns
                        To Infinity And Byond
                        • May 2006

Originally Posted by bill7621
                        Are you out of your mind????
                        According to my last psych evaluation......yes.

Originally Posted by bill7621
                        ...try waxing it with a spray wax like Pledge or even try an auto wax. If that doesn't work, you could try rubbing it with toothpaste. If neither methods work, forget it, it's not worth the bother.

And your asking me if I am out of my mind?????

The buffer wheel requires no toothpaste, no car wax, no pledge, no peanut butter, no jelly, and works within 10 seconds if done right.

These chemicals you are mentioning are abrasive and or contain other chemicals within that can eat away at the disc surface, which will make the read surface rough, fuzzy, in turn making your optical block have to focus even harder through that fuzziness, in turn taking chances of burning out the focus coil and IC driver chip in your DVD player/recorder/drive. The buffer wheel does no such thing, keeping the surface clear and shiny, like it should be. Best cleaning solution I have found that leaves no mared surface is plain ol dish soap and RO water.

I should also point out, that alot of those net flix flicks get used by alot of people. Its only expected to get one once in a while that is all goofed up.

Should also mention...
                        Hold the disc up to the light, if specks of light shine through, then the data layer is foobar and the disc is ruined.

Last edited by RFBurns; 24 Jun 2006, 01:02 AM.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• Grincat
                          • Jun 2006

The best solution is the buffer wheel, but you have to know what you are doing. my brother-in-law work with one where he work and he has been able to clean some disks for me. He has also mention that he used some kind of special soap with it. I have use tooth-paste to clean the disk. It has work on some ocation and it has left the disk in worst shape in others.

Comment

• Greywolf1708
                            • Jun 2006

HI ALL

RFBurns and bill7621 you are both correct in what you are saying.

I also heard the Myth about using toothpaste and tried it, yes it worked but the area around the damage had now become unreadable.

It was however a friend who looked at my problem and had one of these at hand. http://www.jmldirect.com/product.php?gid=6&pid=39
                            Using the self same toothpaste so as not to use a grittier brand we set about cleaning it again, because the 2 heads revolve around as well as spinning in the opposite direction, HEY PRESTO it worked.

Could be worth a try guys.

Oh and no i dont work for JML and please dont hold me responsible as we have only tried it once.

Comment

• RFBurns
                              To Infinity And Byond
                              • May 2006

If you can find some, try the good ol vinyl cleaning fluid. That stuff is non-abrasive, non-corrosive, and does not leave any residue behind. If it works for the very delicate surface of a vinyl record, it should be safe for the smooth surface of a CD or DVD.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...