X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Need a new DVD player

I have this old Panasonic player that's about to die (it gave me like 8 read errors on a just-burned disc before it decided to play), so my parents will likely replace it since I told them it's on the verge of going bad.

Just out of curiousity, for a low price, what player has the most features (I MUST have DVD-/+R playback) and works well? I like Panasonic but I am willing to go with another name-brand.

And I need it from somewhere like Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc. aka brick-and-mortar stores.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
    I have this old Panasonic player that's about to die (it gave me like 8 read errors on a just-burned disc before it decided to play), so my parents will likely replace it since I told them it's on the verge of going bad.

Just out of curiousity, for a low price, what player has the most features (I MUST have DVD-/+R playback) and works well? I like Panasonic but I am willing to go with another name-brand.

And I need it from somewhere like Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc. aka brick-and-mortar stores.
    Philips has one, I can't remember the model # that upscales (or whatever they call it to 1080i, I think for around $49.00

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

walmart has a toshiba with divx for 59 smackaroonies i saw. they always sell them.
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• BR7
        He is coming to your little town!
        • Aug 2005

I highly recommend the Pioneer DV-588A-s do a search you should find one in stock some where this thing plays anything and everything

Formats Support
        CDR
        CDRW DVD-R
        DVD-RW
        DVD-R DL DVD+R
        DVD+RW
        DVD+R DL VCD
        SVCD
        DivX
        XviD
        JPG MP3
        WMA

Have a look here LINK
        Last edited by BR7; 17 Jul 2006, 09:54 AM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• locoeng
          Who Farted?
          • Dec 2005

This is going to be my next DVD player.

Shop online at Best Buy in your country and language of choice. Best Buy provides online shopping in a number of countries and languages.

It comes highly recommended by me.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
          Walt Kelly

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Just FYI I don't need upsampling... because it's a 27" "old school" TV. (aka CRT or whatever)

I will check those out, not sure how soon we will get the new one, I will ask my mom about it.
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

OK, both the link ones are way too expensive.

I had in mind $50-$75, maybe like $80. But not $150+ LOL

It doesn't need to have everything, just DVD-R and DVD+R, as well as DVD+R DL, VCD/SVCD is always good too. But as far as DIVX and stuff goes, it doesn't matter as I only burn DVD and VCDs.

--EDIT--

Anyone seen this one, any good?

BTW, someone told me they got a DVD recorder for like $80 on a sale at wal-mart, and he sent me a VOB he recorded with it, it is way better than my cap card. Any deals like that one?

Also this one.

--EDIT 2--

Found a $100 recorder

Any good?
              Last edited by drfsupercenter; 17 Jul 2006, 11:41 AM.
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                Queen of Digital Video
                Queen of Digital Video
                • Jan 2004

@drf,

Do you parents have a Sam's club membership?

Sam's club has some nice DVD players for under $50.00 that sell for almost $100.00 in other stores.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                  NOT an online superstore
                  • Oct 2005

No, but we have a Costco one.

My mom looked at that recorder, seemed interested but said "not right now" LOL

I figure, decent DVD players are like $75, why not spend a few more to get recording as well. That would beat my capturing to MPEG-2, authoring with TMPGEnc and burning with Nero procedure now.
                  CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                  Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• BR7
                    • Aug 2005

If I had to make a choice I would go with the Pioneer DV-393-S I looked it up and it has been getting very good reviews.I have a Pioneer also and have not had one thing go wrong with it yet and I have had it for almost a year

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                      NOT an online superstore
                      • Oct 2005

That was my back up option, do you think it's worth getting a recorder?
                      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                      Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• BR7
                        • Aug 2005

I can't really give you advice on a DVD Recorder I have never had one and I have never seen one used. I wouldn't think you would have a big need for a DVD Recorder being you have a capture card
                        Last edited by BR7; 17 Jul 2006, 01:14 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

i have a capture card too, but i'm asking santa this year for one. i think i've been a "fairly" good boy. still too expensive for a lt's salary
                          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                          Columbo moments...
                          "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                          (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• floresdave
                            results may vary
                            • Mar 2006

I bought the Lite-on burner they have at Costco for like 109 and it works awesome, has all the playback features you want plus recording. I can create labeled menus for each episode on the disc that i record from TV really easily and adjusting chapters breaks is a snap. I don't use it to record that much, because i have a DVR and ON demand, but it's cool for home movies or UFC's /Boxing matches and/or hard to find comedy specials.
                            I always buy from Costco because they will take back stuff even after like a year or more. I bought two toshiba dvd players there also the latest i bought was the SDK-730(59.99) and it plays + and -, but the SDk-620 circa 2001(119 at the time)plays only-. Both play mp3's and VCD and have had no problems with any of my machines. They base Toshiba model should be fairly cheap as they seem to be pushing the HDMI ready models now.
                            I have never checked Sam's Club as i live in one of the few states where there is No Sam's Club. In fact the nearest Wal-Mart is like 45 mins away. The residents of our fair city keep rejecting Wal-Mart's plan because of traffic impact.
                            Last edited by floresdave; 17 Jul 2006, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...