Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikehende
    • Apr 2006

Watching pc on your TV?

I have been given conflicting advice on this topic, many say that I will never get good quality watching what's on my pc monitor on my TV, does anyone here do this and if so, give an account of how it works or what can I do to ensure good quality please? Reason I'm looking into this is because we purchase movies from Verizon's movie link which only allows us to watch the movies on the pc so I wish to transfer the signal from the monitor to the TV.
  • volfann
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Jun 2006

I always watch my Dvd movies by playing them in the computer and using TV out on video card to connect to Tv via S cable. I do this to take advantage of the computers sound system and the larger TV picture. movies look fine .. Text is terrible for normal computer apps. on TV screen.
    sigpic

Rent This Space

Comment

• mikehende
      • Apr 2006

Thanks a million, mind telling us the exact model number of your graphics card please?

Comment

• volfann
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Jun 2006

A very inexpensive Nvidia Gforce 6200. There are plenty of low priced cards out that provide TV out function. High end cards are better for heavy gaming.. Good luck..
        sigpic

Rent This Space

Comment

• mikehende
          • Apr 2006

appreciate it!

Comment

• volfann
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Jun 2006

Welcome.
            sigpic

Rent This Space

Comment

• JosephSchulz63
              • Jul 2006

I've had better luck with ATI Radeon

I've been using a TIVO-like package called "BeyondTV" for a couple of years and have used a number of different video cards to drive my televisions. In all cases, I've been using the S-Video TV-out jack on the card to plug into the S-Video input on the TV.

The NVidia GEForce cards I've tried (FX 5200/5500 and 6200) seemed to work pretty well and are fairly inexpensive ($50-$80). However, I've had problems with two different cards where the internal fan stopped working and the card overheated, causing horrible static in the TV picture.

I just recently swapped out the latest failed GEForce card with an ATI Radeon 9550 ($60-$80) and the picture is an order of magnitude better than I was getting with the GEForce cards. The text is still hard to see (is on all cards, in my experience) but the picture clarity is outstanding and I've not had any problems with static at all.

Good luck!
              Joe

Comment

• toomanycats
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2005

www.tigerdirect.com sell various devices to go from your vga output of your PC to your tv. This way you don't have to replace you graphics card. They work very well. One item is the Aver QuickPlay. Tigerdirect item #A464034. The price is 74.99 U.S.

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

and the picture is an order of magnitude better than I was getting with the GEForce cards
                  agreed

i found the ATI tv-out always a tad bit better than nvidia

Comment

• toomanycats
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2005

I think ATI is way better. If you want a good deal on ATI go to their website and look under refurbished cards. I got an X800 AGP 256 Pro for $179.00 U.S. with a full 3 year warrantee. Very easy card to use. They basically have a couple of drivers that works for all their cards, so updates if you ever need them are easy.

Comment

• JosephSchulz63
                      • Jul 2006

Aver QuickPlay cables work fine too

Yes, I've used the Aver QuickPlay cables too and they work fine. The picture quality was great, though text seemed even a bit fuzzier than normal. The only real issue I have with it is that the cable itself is a bit clunky because it's a "hydra-type" device with multiple inputs and outputs. If you're going to stash it behind the TV, though, that probably doesn't really matter.

Overall, though, I didn't think the QuickPlay cables made much sense. That is, I've been using old "spare" machines to drive my TV's so it seems more cost effective to add a new dedicated graphics board with a TV-out than to use the built-in video card with the cables. Since the QuickPlay cables cost the same or sometimes more than one of the cards I mentioned earlier, you're getting more value for your money, IMO. I guess if you already had a higher-end graphics board and didn't want to replace it the cables make sense, but most of those have an S-Video output jack anyway.

One application where the cables are invaluable, though, is with laptops or PC's without expansion slots. In those cases, the cables can convert the standard 15-pin VGA output into TV-ready signals without the need for any kind of internal device.

Comment

• BR7
                        He is coming to your little town!
                        • Aug 2005

I use RADEON X300 SE 128MB HyperMemory it gives a great picture when playing movies as for reading internet text it's very blurry even if you put your res at 800x600

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• mikehende
                          • Apr 2006

I am seeing that these cards come with different memory sizes [64, 128 and 256], how important is that for me and how do I determine which one would work for me? I have no intentions of getting a card for gaming or anything other than watching the pc on the TV?

Comment

• RFBurns
                            To Infinity And Byond
                            • May 2006

Hola!

CGI, or Computer Graphics...unless generated by a very expensive broadcast quality computer graphics system, are not very eye pleasing on your typical tv screen from a home pc. The tv screen was simply not designed to display CG as it would display video.

However that is changing....

With these new Hi-Def tv's that sport the SVGA connection and cable to boot, they do produce very cleanly the CG generated by your typical home pc, even with a low end vid card.

It is awsome seeing Quake 4 on a 50' Sony LCD flat pannel fed directly out of the pc via the 15-pin connector!! FS 2004 Pro also looks awsome, planes look like real planes!

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...