X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jammerules
    • Apr 2006

Is it safe to use sticky CD/DVD labels?

Hello peeps,

I've latterly purchased a Full version of Acoustica CD/DVD label software after deciding that I should "improvise" the looks of my 200 DVDs. So I bought Compulabel CD/DVD labels and started to use them on my DVDs. So far so good until this afternoon when I labeled my car audio CD that I just ripped and it started to output strange "sqeaky" noise while playing in my Car Stereo. Very long time ago, before I even started pulling this stunt, I read that using sticky CD/DVD labels can screw up your CD/DVD player cuz the laser will not be reflected back properly (sorry if I'm missing the tech part) with that label on. So it is evident that something of that sort happened to me this afternoon. After doing a li'l R&D I found that there are some label makers that gaurantee of hazzle freeness!!! Can anyone of you confirm this concept? Can anyone of you be able to suggest me the best label maker.

Thanks and I fully appreciate your time in reading this....
    Jammerules

p.s: Here is a post that someone like me had an issue...
  • Gary D
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

See my signature about adhesive labels. Look at that thread and make up your mind!!!
    Gary D

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

i wouldn't use labels like that based on peoples postings here.
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Gary D
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

I just use the Sharpie marker method myself. I have used labels on CDs with no problems but with DVDs and the smaller track, I have experience problems with the first couple I did. I quit using labels BUT I am thinking about buying printable DVDs and a printer.
        Gary D

Comment

• jammerules
          • Apr 2006

Saved by the bell....just in time!!!

Originally Posted by Gary D
          See my signature about adhesive labels. Look at that thread and make up your mind!!!
          Yo Gary,

Thanks pal, for the quick reply and I really appreciate for directing me to the right spot. The fortune thing is that I have not really labeled all of my DVDs (done about 15 of em..around) and the unfortune thing is that the CD Stomper, CD labels are a total was of money...as a matter of fact the printer too. But anyways, I can atleast use the printer for DVD cases I guess it is a total cheating biz to sell or promote this method (CD labeling) when ultimately the labels turn out to be the culprits....

Hey ya know...just kinda curious - how about CD/DVD thermal labeling. I know they dont use any labels but at the same time all those models I saw were **** expensive....are there anything in the market that are affordable like within a coupla hundred bucks?

Peace fellas,

Jammerules

Comment

• Gary D
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2005

I am personally thinking about the epson 220 printer. The printer is cheap (about $100US) but it takes six (sic) ink cartridges between 15 and 20 bucks apiece.

The printer is designed to sell ink I think!!

But I have read that then you have to spray your discs (with a lacquer????) to make them water proof!
            Gary D

Comment

• celtic_druid
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Dec 2005

I'd definatly go with direct printing. I'd go with Canon over Epson though. If you are in the US, they come with CD/DVD printing disabled. I believe that you can buy the disc tray and enable printing though.

As for the waterproof bit. Never been a problem since I don't wet my discs, but I did buy a can of Pressit spray and it does make the discs look much nicer. Not sure it is worth it though since you really need to do it outside (due to the solvent used).

Comment

• Jack Lurker
                Oh Bugger! It's bust again!
                • Jun 2005

I use an R200 and I dont have any problems at all with it. The discs arent waterproof, but then I try not to take them into the shower with me!
                Jack

The best thing for trees is a bloody big axe! Works for stupidity too!!
                You have a problem? Search the forums, you 'aint the first person to have your problem thats for sure!!
                There's a bloke called Blutach here somewhere, check out his signature. Loads of useful info in it!

Comment

• daman
                  Yummy!!!
                  • Apr 2006

Sharpie,,good enough
                  She's going down to the devil, down down to 90 degrees.

Rock on bro!!!!
                  Down load VoBblanker: Here
                  Down load ImgBurn: Here
                  Down load RipIt4Me: Here
                  RipIt4Me guide: Here

Comment

• steveareno1955
                    • Jun 2005

sharpies are also cheaper than printer ink.
                    A F@H Protein Folder
                    Find out how you can be a folder to. Read this thread ASAP!!!
                    http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=69457

Comment

• RFBurns
                      To Infinity And Byond
                      • May 2006

Rental places love to use those sticky clear lables, which not only ruins the disc cuz the sticky literally absorbs right through to the data layer, but throws the disc off balance as well, making the hub shaft and motor wear far more quickly, and thus makes the optic block have to "chase" after the data tracks on the disc..hence skipping, freezing, ruined players and discs. Sticky lables do the same.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• codajohn
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Jul 2005

Sharpies yes, lables no.
                        CJ
                        My DVD Collection
                        Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• locoeng
                          Who Farted?
                          • Dec 2005

You can find the Epson R200 series on sale from time to time for $50....the good thing about the six carts is you only have to replace the one that is out, you don't have to replace the whole set and you can get replacement sets pretty cheap, especially if you take you empty carts to Staples for vouchers (3 bucks each I think).

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                          Walt Kelly

Comment

• codajohn
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Jul 2005

Compatible Ink or Genuine?

Compatible Ink or Genuine Retail?
                            Man, I'd like to save on ink! Cover printing is a killer.

Genuine, ..heard stories of bad quality.
                            CJ
                            My DVD Collection
                            Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• Jack Lurker
                              Oh Bugger! It's bust again!
                              • Jun 2005

I've never bought genuine Epson ink, far too expensive for me. I have been using a selection of Datasafe, Ridisc and Smart Jet recently. Not had a blockage yet and been using them for a couple of years now. I get 'em from UKDVDR.co.uk at 92p a cartridge, £5.49 +p&p for a set including two black cartridges.
                              Jack

The best thing for trees is a bloody big axe! Works for stupidity too!!
                              You have a problem? Search the forums, you 'aint the first person to have your problem thats for sure!!
                              There's a bloke called Blutach here somewhere, check out his signature. Loads of useful info in it!

Comment

Working...