X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superman217
    Newblit
    • Jul 2006

Drive's burning speed

After reading some information, im under the impression that external DVD drives are slower then internal (when it comes to burning) and internal dvd drive placement, inside case also affects burning speeds. Am I correct or have I been fooled?
    The final state of any discipline is where you forget what you have learned, discard your mind, and accomplish whatever you set out to do without being aware of it yourself. You begin by learning and reach the point where learning does not exist.
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

if you got the right external case it will be as fast ( with fire wire)
    sigpic

Comment

• superman217
      Newblit
      • Jul 2006

By that you mean? Like a high speed burner, or??
      The final state of any discipline is where you forget what you have learned, discard your mind, and accomplish whatever you set out to do without being aware of it yourself. You begin by learning and reach the point where learning does not exist.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

the guru's over at cdfreaks have a long thread about external enclosures and have had some luck with getting a few drives to almost catching internal ones
        speedwise, I seriously doubt many average users will have such luck.

average user does well to burn 4x with an external usb2 drive(true speed)
        a full disk in 15 minutes, experienced users with optimized computers and a good external can hit 8-12X with firewire, 7-10 minute burns.

Comment

• superman217
          Newblit
          • Jul 2006

I use a sony external burning at 4x takes me like 2-4 hours to burn a full disk LoL i always just pop it in and hit copy and go do something else lost my firewire so using USB. Bleh

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

even usb1 at 900KB/s, would take about 1 hour and 20 minutes for the burning

Comment

• superman217
              Newblit
              • Jul 2006

Could it be my computer sucks? I've done all kinds of optimzing (including your sticky) Or maybe im exagerating, ill check exact time on United after rip is finished.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

don't count the shrink time, time just the burn, I would add a usb2 card or adapter before i waited over an hour to burn
                Last edited by Chewy; 15 Sep 2006, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• soup
                  Just Trying To Help
                  • Nov 2005

External PX-716A, USB 2, 8X 7 minutes 43 seconds & that's after synchronizing cache.

Comment

• NightTran
                    King of Digital Video
                    King of Digital Video
                    • Aug 2005

can you burn up to 12x with that baby ?
                    sigpic

Comment

• superman217
                      Newblit
                      • Jul 2006

I went to a concert tonight so I didnt get to see actual burn time, but total DvD Shrink time was 5hr's and 20something minutes plus Ripit4me's 3hr's and 26mins. Coming toooo over a full work day I'm going to do a couple tommorow that I should be able to watch the actuall burn time.

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

looks like dma is off, see sticky in general computing, verify with nero info tool

Comment

• soup
                          Just Trying To Help
                          • Nov 2005

@ NightTran, if you are asking about the PX, you bet I can (LOL).

Comment

• superman217
                            Newblit
                            • Jul 2006

I followed the directions and I cant get device one switched from PIO mode to DMA. Un-installed twice Re-installed twice. Although in config under the nero info tool it says dma on/auto run on under the drive.

My primary is my cr-rw drive that I never ever use could I just pull that and make the dvd drive my primary? Will that help?

Comment

• NightTran
                              King of Digital Video
                              King of Digital Video
                              • Aug 2005

you can do that, if you dont use the cd drive

PS is this Dell comp, you may need to go to Bio and fix it ( very dangerous it could mess up every thing, if you dont feel comf. dont do it, but if you decide to try then change one thing at a time and if it is not work you can go back and change it)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...