Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikehende
    • Apr 2006

Using a pc monitor as TV options?

Is there a way to use a regular pc monitor as a TV screen? I am not talking about using a Tuner card on the pc to view the TV on the pc. I would like to connect the pc monitor to the cable box/receiver or to something in between. So what options do I have here?
    <!-- / message -->
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Howdy!

Unfortunately, no. A PC monitor uses progressive scanning vs a regular tv that uses interlace scanning. Plus the scan frequencies...ie horizontal and vertical frequencies are quite different. You would need a scan converter that would take NTSC or PAL video and convert it to the proper scanning frequencies for the PC monitor. There are such devices available for that purpose. Some PC monitors can run ok at the lower frequencies NTSC and PAL uses, but the monitor would probably run very irratically, and run hot, especially the horizontal output device and the vertical output device. They are designed to run at the higher scan frequencies, so forcing them to run at lower frequencies might burn them up instantly or at some point along the way.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

just like rfburns already said: you'll need a scanconverter

this solution, however, does work fine

i have build machines which used a samsung tft together with a dvd player and a scanconverter between that equipment, which gave a decent video output on the screen

Comment

• toomanycats
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Apr 2005

Try this.

This will enable you to use your monitor as a TV.

Comment

• NightTran
          King of Digital Video
          King of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

what about other way around if I want my regular TV ( not LCD) as a computer monitor is it way to do it?
          sigpic

Comment

• toomanycats
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2005

There is a lot of ways to do it but the resolution isn't so good but is decent for viewing movies. Here's a link with a page full of devices.

Comment

• mikehende
              • Apr 2006

Originally Posted by toomanycats
              According to the specs, this one looks good [thanks], any idea if you will have to physically take the svga monitor cable out of the box to connect to your pc when you will be using the pc or can you simply use an svga splitter so no disconnecting between TV and pc?

Comment

• toomanycats
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2005

I would like to say use a splitter but I am not sure if feeding the signals into the output of the device would harm it. I am chicken when it comes to electronics ( spent too many years fixing them) I would try and get a switching box. You will need one with multiple inputs. I found this one.

Or you could just plug/unplug the cables as you need to. (that's kind've a pain in the butt though).

Comment

• mikehende
                  • Apr 2006

Don't see how a "switching" box will help this situation seeing that multiple monitors is not what we're dealing with here? What I am thinking we may need is an svga cable with dual output connectors? If so, then then the monitor can be connected permanently to both the box and the pc, only way to do this though is to make sure that both tv and pc are not on at the same time?

Comment

• toomanycats
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2005

By using a Y cable you are running the output of the "TV Device" parallel with the input of the input of the TV and computer as the would all meet at one end of the cables. In essence the output of the "TV Device" would "feel" the voltages of the output of the computer. The multiple inputs of the switching box allow 2 inputs to access the one monitor. You do have an extra out put for another monitor you wouldn't be using it that's all. In other words you can switch the inputs to whichever output you desire thus isolating the devices from each other.

Comment

• mikehende
                      • Apr 2006

ok, got it, thanks!

Comment

• RFBurns
                        To Infinity And Byond
                        • May 2006

I am posting a resolution chart with the scan frequencies for each resolution setting.

As you can see in the chart, there are very few resolutions that use 60hz vertical frequency rate, and none of the resolutions listed run at the standard TV horizontal frequency of 15Khz.

This is why it is necessary to use a scan converter so that all of the input resolutions fed to it will output on the standard NTSC scan frequencies of 15Khz horizontal and 60hz vertical.

Hope this helps anyone who needs the info and for the curious.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• toomanycats
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Apr 2005

RFBurns what did you think about this TV Tuner box for LCD and CRT monitor?

Comment

• RFBurns
                            To Infinity And Byond
                            • May 2006

RFBurns what did you think about this TV Tuner box for LCD and CRT monitor?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...868&CatId=1427

This is a good unit! It covers the entire scan resolution for multi-sync monitors. It also sports external input capability which is crucial for today's entertainment centers that have multiple video sources, ie DVD/DVR/SAT.

Definately a good unit to have around!

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...