• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • codajohn
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jul 2005

Mouse question

I just got an IBM desktop from a friend. My first time with IBM. I am using the wireless optical mouse that was on my Dell 98se. Works great. I tried to use the IBM optical wired mouse on the 98se. Even with the serial adapter, it didn't work. I tried putting it in a usb port. A message came up "installing drivers for the Human Interaction hardware." I didn't install anything. My question is why wouldn't the IBM mouse work on the Dell? Is it incompatable with everything but IBM? Sounds strange.
    CJ
    My DVD Collection
    Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

WinXP comes mostly with native drivers for devices but not Wins 98/Me. You can search for the mouse driver for your Windows 98/Me from IBM

Regards
    Last edited by benbryant; 4 Oct 2006, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• codajohn
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jul 2005

Hey Ben,
      Thanks for the info. The wireless optical was on the 98se. It's about 3 years old. I never installed drivers on the 98se for this. Plugged it in and away I went.
      As for the IBM mouse. I had plugged it into a usb port on the 98se and got a looking for driver installation message. I didn't install. Problem was I couldn't control the curser even if i wanted to install.
      Maybe I'll just tranfer the wireless mouse back to the 98se and use the IBM on the IBM. Until I'm done transfering files.
      CJ
      My DVD Collection

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by codajohn
        Hey Ben,
        Thanks for the info. The wireless optical was on the 98se. It's about 3 years old. I never installed drivers on the 98se for this. Plugged it in and away I went.
        As for the IBM mouse. I had plugged it into a usb port on the 98se and got a looking for driver installation message. I didn't install. Problem was I couldn't control the curser even if i wanted to install.
        Maybe I'll just tranfer the wireless mouse back to the 98se and use the IBM on the IBM. Until I'm done transfering files.
        I know that feeling use a regular cheap mouse the one with the ball in it. To install the software for the new optical mouse once you reboot you should be able to use the optical one.

You can get them cheap anywhere and not bad to have around in case the optical one fails out for whatever reason.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• codajohn
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Jul 2005

Thanks PA
          I asked my tech person at school if she had any old ball style. She just threw out a bunch old ball style. A day late and a dollar short.
          Thinking back, I must have installed a driver when I bought my first wireless (long ago). The second wireless mouse didn't need a driver. Maybe because of the first one. My wife has the old wireless mouse with her laptop. I'll check tonight to see if that one works. I would prefer not to have to purchase a new ball style just to transfer files to a new machine.
          Thanks for refreashing my memory PA.
          CJ
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• photo_angel2004
            Queen of Digital Video
            Queen of Digital Video
            • Jan 2004

Thanks PA
            I asked my tech person at school if she had any old ball style. She just threw out a bunch old ball style. A day late and a dollar short.
            Thinking back, I must have installed a driver when I bought my first wireless (long ago). The second wireless mouse didn't need a driver. Maybe because of the first one. My wife has the old wireless mouse with her laptop. I'll check tonight to see if that one works. I would prefer not to have to purchase a new ball style just to transfer files to a new machine.
            Thanks for refreashing my memory PA.
            The cost about .99 cent to $3.00 on the high end for a basic one these days.
            I have seen them at comp usa for $1.99

Give your wifes mouse a try it may work to install your drivers cant hurt.
            Last edited by photo_angel2004; 4 Oct 2006, 03:56 AM.

Comment

• codajohn
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Jul 2005

Thanks PA.
              I bought a usb stick wireless (Logitech) for my lap this past Summer. About $50.00 at Best Buys. Much easier then the older style of wireless with the long cord reciever. Anyway, thanks again.
              CJ
              My DVD Collection

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                Queen of Digital Video
                Queen of Digital Video
                • Jan 2004

I am still suprized that you need to install your driver for this mouse to get it to work. I have had quite a few optical mice and now a cordless as well. I didnt install the software and drivers it came with, but it did work for the basic functions to be able to install.

If it is wireless how are the batteries? Maybe it just needs new batteries.

Comment

• codajohn
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Jul 2005

The wireless mouse that was on the Dell 98se is now being used with the IBM. Works fine, plug and play. Batteries fine.

The IBM wired optical with serial adapter that came with the IBM computer doesn't seem to be read by the 98se. The driver message was on the 98se because I had plugged the usb wired mouse into a usb port. Not the mouse serial port. 98se read it as a "human interactive device."
                  The path of least resistance would be to hook up the 98se with the wireless mouse, transfer my files to my external hard drive and then throw the 98se out the window. Of course, after I take out the Benq.
                  CJ
                  My DVD Collection

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                    Queen of Digital Video
                    Queen of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2004

No need to throw it out the window you can wipe the Hard drive clean and install windows XP. So you can leave the Benq in.

Comment

• codajohn
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Jul 2005

Well the 98se HD is only 20gb. 10gb already used. Processor is PentIII 800 mh. To slow for Shrink. XP is not going to help this old horse. Time to put it down.
                      BANG!
                      CJ
                      My DVD Collection

Comment

• GOL
                        Just trying to help
                        • Jun 2005

The only reason a Driver is needed in 98SE is because it is a USB device 98 must have Drivers for any USB device plugged into it

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                          Queen of Digital Video
                          Queen of Digital Video
                          • Jan 2004

Well the 98se HD is only 20gb. 10gb already used. Processor is PentIII 800 mh. To slow for Shrink. XP is not going to help this old horse. Time to put it down.
                          BANG!
                          That sounds like one our old computers, it still works though.

Comment

• codajohn
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Jul 2005

Thanks GOL

PA,
                            The mouse problem is solved. Went back to using the wireless I had moved to the IBM from the 98se. Funny thing is, after plugging in the IBM mouse back into the IBM computer, it opened Bios and asked to either set up the PS/2 or continue. I found that the PS/2 function was disabled. I enabled PS/2 function. The mouse serial port on the IBM no longer works.
                            I plugged the IBM mouse into a usb port and it works fine.
                            BTW, yes the 98se computer still works. Started to transfer files last night.
                            The IBM only has a CD-ROM.
                            Last edited by codajohn; 4 Oct 2006, 10:47 PM.
                            CJ
                            My DVD Collection

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                              Queen of Digital Video
                              Queen of Digital Video
                              • Jan 2004

Thanks GOL

PA,
                              The mouse problem is solved. Went back to using the wireless I had moved to the IBM from the 98se. Funny thing is, after plugging in the IBM mouse back into the IBM computer, it opened Bios and asked to either set up the PS/2 or continue. I found that the PS/2 function was disabled. I enabled PS/2 function. The mouse serial port on the IBM no longer works.
                              I plugged the IBM mouse into a usb port and it works fine.
                              BTW, yes the 98se computer still works. Started to transfer files last night.
                              The IBM only has a CD-ROM.
                              It will still make a good back up pc. I kept my old one still works and no one would pay anything for it. Works great for storing documents and records I dont want taking up space on my pc or my sons pc. I threw in a new dvd rom and a burner so its has a bit of an up grade and upgraded the ram to 512 meg. Still not a lot but its got windows 98 SE my son also likes it to play some of his OLD games that are not very compatable with XP.

Something to think about when dicideing to keep it or trash it.

Comment

Working...