Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sweetrmarie
    • Mar 2006

Oppo DV-981HD

Thanks nwg. Did some searching on the Sony NS76. Then I found this model, upconverts to 1080p, which I believe my Panny can display. Sells for $261.00 cdn (about 115.00 pounds), comes with good quality HDMI cables. I've been reading good things about this company. Would really appreciate your comments. Was in the UK in 1998 on a school trip, nice country. My father was a spitfire pilot in the RCAF, he really enjoyed flying with the british. Met a chap and he took me to the Royal Air Force Museum, nice. If I remember, it used to be an airport during the war. Love your music, espescially the prog. rock, it's the birthplace of good music.

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

Oppo are one of the best players around. They use a DCDi by Faroudja. This is the video processing technology and considered to be very impressive. You can't go wrong, the 981 is their new flagship model. It is also a fantastic price. It goes for nearly £200 in the Uk.

Comment

• sweetrmarie
        • Mar 2006

Hit a snag

My current stereo receiver is not a very sophisticated unit. Being more of a music audio buff than a video one, I've yet to upgrade to a surround sound audio/video unit. I'm currently using my RCA R/L audio plugs with SVideo. If I use HDMI, can I still use those RCA plugs to my receiver and will they work, or is that taboo. Even though I don't have an A/V unit, it still sounds better than the Plasma speaker system, (I have decent speakers and a sub).
        Can't use DVI because the Panny doesn't support it, at least from what I"m seeing on the spec sheet (I'm at work).
        Just thought of something. Wonder if the Panny has any audio outputs that I could send audio back to the receiver? Will give you update.
        Last edited by sweetrmarie; 15 Dec 2006, 06:35 AM. Reason: Last minute idea?

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by sweetrmarie
          My current stereo receiver is not a very sophisticated unit. Being more of a music audio buff than a video one, I've yet to upgrade to a surround sound audio/video unit. I'm currently using my RCA R/L audio plugs with SVideo. If I use HDMI, can I still use those RCA plugs to my receiver and will they work, or is that taboo. Even though I don't have an A/V unit, it still sounds better than the Plasma speaker system, (I have decent speakers and a sub).
          Can't use DVI because the Panny doesn't support it, at least from what I"m seeing on the spec sheet (I'm at work).
          Just thought of something. Wonder if the Panny has any audio outputs that I could send audio back to the receiver? Will give you update.
          HDMI has digital audio which will mean you TV will get audio. You can still use your RCA connection to the receiver as before. It will just require activating in the player setup.

It is also possible to get HDMI to DVI cables and DVI to HDMI cables. They are both digital video and it it just changing the connectors on the ends.

Comment

• uufta
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Dec 2005

I just got that same TV, the manual says its capable of 1080i and 1080p also. (HDMI)
            I know I have a huge amount to learn when it comes to this HDTV stuff, but the picture seems the best if I have the cable box outputing on 1080i, is that because I need new glasses?

Comment

• sweetrmarie
              • Mar 2006

Originally Posted by nwg
              HDMI has digital audio which will mean you TV will get audio. You can still use your RCA connection to the receiver as before. It will just require activating in the player setup.

It is also possible to get HDMI to DVI cables and DVI to HDMI cables. They are both digital video and it it just changing the connectors on the ends.
              Thanks for the feedback. My plasma does not support DVI so this isn't an option. And my receiver has neither. I realize that I will get sound through the tv but I want to be able to listen to it through my stereo receiver and you answered that. Now that I'm home, I can see that the tv has prog. audio output L/R. I assume that I can use this back to my receiver, this would be another option.

Comment

• nwg
                Left *****
                • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by uufta
                I just got that same TV, the manual says its capable of 1080i and 1080p also. (HDMI)
                I know I have a huge amount to learn when it comes to this HDTV stuff, but the picture seems the best if I have the cable box outputing on 1080i, is that because I need new glasses?
                The Pansonic 42PX60 can't do 1080 as the native resolution isn't high enough. It needs to be 1920 x 1080 which it isn't. However, it can accept a 1080 signal and downscale it to 768. The screen is 1024 x 768 so, it will even upscale 720p slightly to 768.

You cable box is being downscaled by the TV. Downscaling will produce a better image than upscaling when the source is higher resolution. I can play HD material through my SD projector (858 x 480 resolution) and it still looks better than DVD. This is because the resolution and bitrate of the source will be higher.

Comment

• uufta
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Dec 2005

Thanks nwg, I just learned more from you than a day of reading

Comment

• nwg
                    Left *****
                    • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by uufta
                    Thanks nwg, I just learned more from you than a day of reading
                    You're welcome.

@sweetrmarie.

This upscaling and downscaling business confuses people. It is also best to have as less scaling as possible. If you have a DVD player or something else that upscales to say 720p. The TV will want 768p. So it takes the 720 an upscales a second time. It might be better to upscale to 1080 then downscale it to 768. It is all about trial and error and see what you think is better. What might be good for one person, might not be for another.

I would try these

Leave DVD player at SD resolution at output 480 NTSC or PAL 576. The TV will the upscale to 768.

Turn on upscaling in the player and set to 720. Then let the TV to upscale to 768.

Turn on upscaling in the player and set to 1080. Then let the TV to downscale to 768.

Then just pick what looks best to you. Try different DVD's that you know well. Animation such Pixar Animations look incredible on LCD. This is why a lot of places use it to sell the TV's. Try DVD's with lots of colour and blacks (space scenes for example). Some budget LCD's produce morr grey than black. This is usually down to not enough contrast ratio. These Panasonics have 10,000:1 contrast which is very very high.

Also, the TV should be about to do progressive scan just like DVD players can. You can leave Progressive switched off (480i, 576i, 720i, 1080p) in the player and see how the TV displays the signal or, turn on progressive scan in the player and see how it looks (480p, 576p, 720p 1080p). To get the best picture. Progressive scan is needed to be turned on somewhere. Progressive scan can only be used with Component, HDMI or DVI if used.
                    Last edited by nwg; 15 Dec 2006, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• shrink0
                      • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by TNT
                      Yeah, there's nothing that will improve your system performance like a couple of beers.
                      I purchased the inexpensive samsung HD-860 upconverting dvd player,hooked up to my plasma HDTV via HDMI and I can definitely see the difference from my previous player!! especially after a couple of brewsky's.
                      sigpic
                      Google is your friend

Comment

• sweetrmarie
                        • Mar 2006

Thanks nwg. I will definitely try these suggestions. Ordered an Oppo DV-981HD yesterday.

Comment

• sweetrmarie
                          • Mar 2006

Received Oppo DV-981-HD

Well I received my Oppo 981 today, she's a beauty. The packaging is second to none. The unit is neatly wrapped up in a black cloth with velcro and has Oppo written on it. I'm still experimenting with it. So far seems like the best detail I'm getting is when I'm using 1080p output, then letting the tv downscale to 768p. Like I said, I'm still playing with it. But I can tell you it's the first time I can see pimples and black zits on people's faces on close ups. The only original dvd that I own that I can look for detail is the first Lord of the Rings (The Fellowship of the Ring) . I haven't rented any yet, but will soon.
                          Two things I noticed with the Oppo DV-981HD that could be improved is the tray is somewhat noisy compared to my Philips DVP-642/37. The second is that there are no holes around the tray to pick up the disc from the edges. You have to push it up from below or just use your pinky and lift it from the center. But I can live with that.

Comment

• nwg
                            Left *****
                            • Jun 2003

Sounds like it was a good choice. I may get another player soon. I just upgraded my projector. It isn't HD Ready (too much money at twice the price) but I have got some wonderful looking pics from it running at 480p and 576p.

Comment

• sweetrmarie
                              • Mar 2006

high def?

I do have another question for you, being knowledgeable in this field. At what level does a signal become "high definition" on a HDTV. Is it 720p 1080i minimum? Then the ultimate 1080p? If I remember right, you (or someone else stated that the TH42PX60 will only go to 768p). In other words, what is condidered "high definition" in terms of resolution on the tv set. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I do not any control on the output resolution of the tv, it is controlled by the input signal? I can however, change the aspect ratio which is, IMO, two different topics. Thanks again and tell when I get to be a pain in the a**.

Comment

• nwg
                                Left *****
                                • Jun 2003

A HD signal is 1280 x 720 or above. A HD Ready TV has to be either 1280 x 720, 1366 x 768 or 1920 x 1080. A HD Ready also needs either a HDMI or DVI video socket.

1080p is sometimes called full HD but, I don't like it as it can make people think 720 is not HD when it is.

Whether a TV is 720 or 768. The native resolution is 720p. This means whatever signal it gets, it converts it to 720p as that is what the screen is.

Most TV's that are 1080 are actually 1080i. More are being 1080p but they are more expensive. These TV's will also convert whatever signal you use to 1080i or 1080p to match the screen.

If you use a 1080 resolution from the DVD player. The Panasonic will convert it to 768 to match the screen.

Yes, aspect ratios are totally different. As the TV is 16:9 widescreen. You want the DVD player set to Widescreen/16:9/Wide depending on how it is called in the player setup.

Comment

Working...