Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blackjack Davy
    • May 2002

Virtualdub problems

Hi, could anyone tell me where I can find a reliable guide to Virtualdub? Nicky's guide to divx says it's one the best programs you can use but it's also the most frustrating! There don't seem to be any decent guides to it's features and the help files supplied with it are almost useless and it's incomprehensible to use without a guide... I've tried using it to cut a Divx file but the audio is hideously out of sync and thats just the 1st/original cut rather than the 2nd, 3rd etc, and the re-synching "interleaving" function that Nicky mentions in his audio synching problem guide just refuses to work at all... I'm cutting at key frames etc but it makes a mess of it.... please help!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Since it may actually be a problem specific to the video file that you're working on (rather than a problem with VirtualDub), why don't you do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Also, be good enough to state exactly what procedures you've been using in your attempts to split the file...

Comment

• Blackjack Davy
      • May 2002

Well, I used Virtualdub just like it said in Nicky's guide, opened the file, use the slider and started with a key frame and used mark in, mark out to cut the file, saved it as an AVI....

I'm wondering if it's worth stripping out the audio as a WAV and dubbing it back in, but I havn't a clue how to do it, I can't find a useful guide anywhere
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Blackjack Davy; 20 May 2002, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Your video contains a Variable Bit Rate (VBR) .MP3 audiostream, rather than a Constant Bit rate (CBR) .MP3 audiostream. This is what is giving VirtualDub grief.

Use NanDub for cutting instead of VirtualDub.

Comment

• Blackjack Davy
          • May 2002

Thanks I'll try it

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Let us know of your success ;>}

(If it doesn't solve your problem, I'll post the "long way" to modify the file...)

Comment

• Blackjack Davy
              • May 2002

Ok I've installed Nandub into the Virtualdub folder but when I try to run it I get this error message:

"A required .DLL file, VORBISFILE.DLL, was not found."

I've done a search and it's not on my PC anwhere

Comment

• Biggus
                • May 2002

I say what most of the experts here say, open Your file in VirtualDub and post all the info You can get here, then somebody can help You.

PS: Nicky's Guide:s the best, You'll just have to learn it. If You don't I can help You.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Life is full of trials and tribulations... Here's the "long way":

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio

Simply use VirtualDub to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
                  Load your original .AVI into VirtualDub
                  From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK"
                  Then set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
                  Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file).

Then close VirtualDub and restart it
                  Set "Audio" to "No audio"
                  Load your silent .AVI
                  Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
                  Under "Audio" click on "WAV Audio" and load your .WAV
                  Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
                  From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" and choose the appropriate .MP3 settings. Click on "OK"
                  From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and save your file with a new filename.

Comment

• ccyre
                    • May 2002

ah ha!

well it worked but the new file with the new audio is 2 times bigger now. thats some crappy compression on mpeg audio. What do you suggest?

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

To ccyre

Who are you and what are you talking about?

Comment

• ccyre
                        • May 2002

Well looks like im someone who has the same issue and I am talking about adding a wav file to an avi file. The whole process seems to have made the avi file double in size.

I was trying to cut my avi file in half and the first half worked great but the second half wouldnt even compile audio. You would see it stay at zero (current audio sample and audio data was stuck at like 24)

My AVI file has a different compression than his though. Not sure if it's vbr or cbr. At any rate saving the audio as a wav file and adding it back like you said here made it so that I can cut the second half with sound now (woohoo) but the file is 800+ meg where it used to be 400+. I think it has to do with what compression I'm chosing when I add the audio back.

Here is my file details
                        Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

To ccyre

After you've loaded both the .AVI and .WAV files into VirtualDub, under the "Audio" dropdown menu, click on "Conversion" and select 44,100Hz. Then click on "Compression" and select .MP3 (MPEG Layer 3) 44,100 128Kbps...

Comment

• ccyre
                            • May 2002

You the man, worked like a champ.

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...