• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gizmotoz
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jan 2006

Sort of OT: new system question

i know this is kind of ot for this board, here is my predicament. i am an MT and work from home. i have been using my desktop unit for both dvd backups and work, (pc anywhere). i am thinking of either a new cpu for work and leave the dvd programs on the old system or a laptop to do the dvd work. i know that vista is the only os you can get standard retail on a machine now. i went b.b. and the person there did not recommend laptop for burning, the cost will be about the same either way. Do you have a preference or input into this dilemma?
    thanks
    gizmo
  • locoeng
    Who Farted?
    • Dec 2005

I would leave the burning to a desktop or either a laptop with a USB burner. The slimline burners IMHO aren't up to the same standard as full size internal burners.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
    Walt Kelly

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

Well some sales people at BB will tell you things that aren't necessarily true just to up sell to get a higher average selling price. Vista is a real pain in the arse to setup. You have to supply a proper email address in order to get all the necessary updates to the computer. There is also other nuances to Vista OS that make it a pain to setup but I will not go into that right now. Plus I would use the newer unit for the DVD stuff and use the older one for work stuff. That would be the best way to keep work and play separate.
      Last edited by doctorhardware; 28 Feb 2007, 06:18 PM.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

dont go for vista if you can avoid it - the extra eye-candy isnt worth all the hassle

get a new machine for your video conversions and use the old one as your working horse

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

I have as yet to see any compelling reason to upgrade to vista even on the very expensive machines, I guess for quad core cpu's and over 4 gigs of ram.

You can even order a notebook w/o OS from the internet.

Comment

Working...