Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heyjude85023
    • Dec 2005

Batch Changing Video Titles

i want to be able to mass change several video file titles at the same time. i want to put them in sequence. i have episodes 1-n.

currently each video file has the episode name only. now that i have several of them, i would like them to always show up in the series sequence and not alphabetical order. (sorting by date won't work, because they were not necessarily recorded in order.)

i can do them one at a time, but that would be so tedious. it would be nice if there was software available that would allow me to take a list (.txt, .doc or .xml for example) of the numbered and named episodes and match it to the named only video files, and where the number is missing, tack it to the beginning of the file.

does anyone know of an application that can do that?

(i can do it with records in MS Access, i wish it would work with files.)
  • heyjude85023
    • Dec 2005

follow up

in case anyone cares:

i did not really find a batch way to do this, so i made up a way.

i used a really terrific freeware program called RenameMaster to do the batch basics (add a "_" to the beginning of each file in preperation for the step to come - the "_" is what goes between the words in a dvd disc name, for example, _COACH_THE_KICKER - just in case i ever want to burn them individually to discs.)

then i opened my text file with the names of each episode in numerical order. RM was opened in its minimal window size on top of the open text file so i could see the text file while working in RM.

then, one by one, i added the number of the episode to the beginning of each of the video files. (142_COACH_THE_KICKER)

it may sound the same as doing "rename this file" (windows pc), but its not because you don't have to "click on" the file, select "rename this file" and wait for windows to highlight the file.

RM allows you to "check all", "uncheck all", or place a check mark next to each individual file. i added episode numbers to @400 files in about an hour.

then i found out the problem with all of this. i used to be able to quickly see if i already had an episode because they were in alpha order, now i have to do a search of the folder because they are now in numerical order. oh well, to quote a comedian from back in the day, "it just goes to show ya, its always something."

(while this isn't an endorsement of RM, i would like to point out what a terrific program this is. it is great for anyone who works with large amounts of files. i use it for video, audio, text, and all files i work with. you can set up scripts for renaming actions you do frequently. and its freeware. wait a minute! i guess this is an endorsement. )

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

i usually do tasks like this with total commander

Comment

• heyjude85023
        • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by UncasMS
        i usually do tasks like this with total commander
        couldn't tell from the site if it would do what i needed it to do (not the method i described above but, my original post) from the site. (since it isn't freeware, i don't want to install a 'trial' that probably won't totally uninstall when the trial is up.)

but, thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...