Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zwildwolf
    • Jun 2002

MS-MPEG4 vs DIVXMPEG4

OK, Here's the deal. I have been able to follow much advice from various people on this site. But, my dellema is as follows. I have downloaded a few movies from Kazaa, not bad, and complete. Only one movie I downloaded, was in DIVXMPEG4 format. That movie was easy to convert to MPEG1 and burn a VCD.

The format I am having trouble with is MS-MPEG4. Nothing I have read here is of any help. Can anybody give me some advice, PLEASE??

Thx....in advance!!
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

What exactly is your problem? Playback or trying to open the file in a editing software? I doubt it's playback though, as even a bare Windows installation is capable of handling it. Otherwise, try having WMP7 installed (whose installation will add a few required codecs).

For the latter purpose, install the M$ MPEG4V2 codec from any codec pack, like Tsunami or Nimo. I'm not sure if the links are working already though...

Comment

• zwildwolf
      • Jun 2002

Enchanter,

My exact problem is as follows:

I used "TMPGEnc" to convert the DIVXMPEG4 movie to MPEG1...result...No problem...works great, lasts a long time.

When I tried to convert the MS-MPEG4 formated movies, all I got was video, with no sound. Both conversions were run the exact same way.

Please give a somewhat detailed rundown or point me to the right software I will need to download...THX!!!

--zww

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

Consider, opening the file in Virtualdub, post any error or prompts you recieve and the "file information."

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

The codec with which the video is encoded has nothing to do with your sound problem. Try playing the M$ MPEG4-compresses video in WMP6.4 and see what format the sound is in. ALternatively, follow Batman's advice on checking it through Virtualdub.

Comment

• zwildwolf
            • Jun 2002

THX...I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

like Tsunami or Nimo. I'm not sure if the links are working already though...

Tsunamis latest filterpack can be downloaded from my page.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Great! Been hunting for the Tsunami pack for a while. Deleted it by accident and voila! the links were all dead then. Thanks, Uncas.

Comment

• zedolf
                  • Jun 2002

The complete Microsoft codec package which includes MPEG4 versions 1, 2 and 3 along with various legacy and DirectShow codecs/filters can be found at

The codec (wmpcdcs8.exe 734KB) download URL is

(Watch out for word wrap with both links)

Comment

Working...