X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benedict
    Lord of the 4th Estate
    • Jun 2002

Changing FourCC Code

MovieID (nice little program, no installation) tells me that if I go into a video file and change it's FourCC code from "mpg4" to "div3", the video will play fine because these two codecs are one and the same. Fine. Three questions however:

1) I assume there is a program to do this, but haven't noticed one. Suggestions?

2) I only have the DivX 5 codec installed (as "DIVX"). Will this still work? (Specifically, will VirtualDub like it?)

3) Given that I have many files with the "mpg4" codec specificed, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just code a line into "SYSTEN.INI" specifying that the Div3 DLL be used whenever an "mpg4" code is encountered?

It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

if you have divx5 installed, why would you change the fourcc code???

Comment

• benedict
      Lord of the 4th Estate
      • Jun 2002

Good question.

Refer to my other post: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...&threadid=8555

Some of my viewers and editors seem to undersatnd and account for the difference between codec names; VirtualDub does not, and that is my main tool for editing/conversion.

But here's my thrust: I don't want to go into SYSTEM.INI without some confirmation that what I am doing in there isn't going to mess my box up. I don't think it will, but has anyone ever tried that before?

And will it get VirtualDub happy?
      It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Given that I have many files with the "mpg4" codec specificed, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just code a line into "SYSTEN.INI" specifying that the Div3 DLL be used whenever an "mpg4" code is encountered?"

That will not work. The individual programs require the codec with the corresponding FOURCC code to be installed on your system.

In addition to the many standalone FOURCC-changer programs floating around, VirtualDub itself offers you that option from one of its dropdown menus...

Comment

• benedict
          Lord of the 4th Estate
          • Jun 2002

"mpg4=DivX.dll" in SYSTEM.INI

My system came with both the "IV31" and "IV32" FourCC codes pointing to the same DLL (ir32_32.dll, the Intel Indeo Video R3.2 codec) in the SYSTEM.INI, so obviously there is nothing in Windows that prevents different FourCC codes from sharing the same DLL.

Since then, I've added DIVX=DivX.dll (the DivX 5.0.1 Codec) via a standard installation package for that codec. That installation went fine, because any files that come with a DivX FourCC play just fine, and some of my players clearly have the intellegence to use that codec when "mpg4" is encountered.

What I am saying is that since the DivX codec is already installed on my machine, why couldn't I just add another line to SYSTEM.INI saying "mpg4=DivX.dll", thereby eliminating forever my need to worry about changing a FourCC code of "mpg4" again?

BTW: Thanks for the info about VirtualDub's ability to change FourCCs. I'm still too far down the learning curve on that program, and hadn't noticed that yet. Appreciate the info.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

there's a tool called fourcc changer btw, but it does NOT support divx5

c.f. here

Comment

• benedict
              Lord of the 4th Estate
              • Jun 2002

I'm clueless !

Just went back and pulled my "mpg4" file up in VirtualDub. As usual, the load error. I'm now sitting there looking at VDub with no file to work on.

So I pull down all the menus, and the only thing I can see that seems even remotely close to something capable of editing the FourCC is "Hex Editor". I start that and tell it to get the same file. Sure enough, there's my "vidsmpg4" along with another "MPG4" nearby. Trouble is, my title bar says "read only".

I try out the drop-down menus, find one that displays the file's header in a differnet format (this time with no evidence of FourCC code) and can't get that to do anything either.

If VDub can change FourCC code, it certainly is not making it obvious to me as to how that is done.

To UncasMS: Yeah, I've found the "Doom9" site and forum and quickly bookmarked both. I have not however got to spend too much time there yet, but it's definitely on my To Do list. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

In VirtualDub, when you select "Open Video File", put a checkmark in the box labelled "Popup extended open options"...

Comment

• benedict
                  Lord of the 4th Estate
                  • Jun 2002

Got that. Thanks. But that's when the real fun started.

Told VDub to use "DIVX" (which is in my SYSTEM.INI). Audio was fine, but video was black.

Next tired "Div3" (which is not in my SYSTEM.INI). Got a wonderful swirl of all of my favorite colors rapidly changing through about 10X8 pixel boxes. (see attached).

Went back and did it again, this time puling up VDub's "file informatiion" for both. Sure enough, they were both using my DivX 5 codec.

Same input file, same codec, same program. Why the difference?

And no one has yet successfully explained to me why some of my players can show me this file at all when I don't have the MPG4 codec even installed on my box.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

Try "div4" or "div3" (All lowercase letters)...

Comment

• benedict
                      Lord of the 4th Estate
                      • Jun 2002

Tried everything from 1 through 6. 1 and 2 gave errors, 3 thru 6 gave the same colored boxes.

If anyone is interested in playing with this file, I've posted it to my website. (704K)

Comment

• UncasMS
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2001

it is MS Mpeg V1

Comment

• benedict
                          Lord of the 4th Estate
                          • Jun 2002

Boy, am I the dumbo. I just figured that out too. I was (for some stupid reason) so sure it was 4.3, that I never went back to re-check it. Duh?

But heck, the clip was cute, wasn't it? (No, they didn't really kick the dog. But that's British humor(?) for you. Sick, huh?)

Anyways, I promise to try to be a bit more careful next time around. And thanks for your efforts too.

Comment

• benedict
                            Lord of the 4th Estate
                            • Jun 2002

Finally installed the MPEG-4 codec, and it installed as "MPG4" and "MP42" (same DLL).

Tried modifying SYSTEM.INI afterwards to add "MP43" and point it to DivX.dll, but VirtualDub would have nothing to do with that. Went back and tried making "MP43" point to the same DLL as "MPG4" and "MP42", and I was golden!

Not so concerned about why DivX.dll wouldn't work in this case. I've read enough here to undersatnd that V5 (which is what I have) is problematical. I suspect this is one of those very probelems.

If anyone knows more on this, I am certainly interested.

And thanks all for your help and patiece with me on this.

Comment

Working...