X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evinther
    • Dec 2009

what container and codex to use?

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to digital video and i'm totally confused in terms of what software to use, what "container" and what "codex" to use.

I have a pile of traditional DVDs and a few Blue-Ray ditto that i want to rip and convert into a single file that can be stored on my harddrive and played on my HD TV using my Digital Western HD TV Live Media Player (plays virtually all formats)

I'd like to be able to chose the ripped quality - expressed in layman terms I'd like to rip films in perfect quality (loosless), high quality (minimal loss of quality) and ok quality, but without having to be an expert in configuring all sorts of program settings. I need to be able to chose language and subtitle when available on the origional DVDs.

Any sugestions and advice on what software, container format and codex to use is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Erik
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

mkv as container with x264 + aac as video+audio codec yould be my choice

the wd should on, the other hand, be able to play m2ts/ts files (blu-ray) without a problem as well
    but turning an m2ts into an mkv is no big deal either

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

How big these files are going to be ... 4.5 to 15GB or what!?!?

G!

Comment

• neal2324
        • Nov 2009

Originally Posted by evinther
        Hi,
        Any sugestions and advice on what software, container format and codex to use is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
        Erik
        Hi, Erik!
        My pleasure to give you my suggestions.
        According to my own experience using DVD/Blu-ray Ripper, I am convinced that there is DVD/Blu-ray sofware called Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper powerful in ripping DVDs and Blu-ray disc, just with this ONE, not need other software, but it's not free, $49.
        UncasMS said

mkv as container with x264 + aac as video+audio codec yould be my choice
        the wd should on, the other hand, be able to play m2ts/ts files (blu-ray) without a problem as well
        but turning an m2ts into an mkv is no big deal either
        Yeah, MKV is a good choice, I totally agree, but MKV with H.264 + AC3 as video + audio codec is much better, H.264 + AC3 is the best Codec for AV HD, you can have a try, trust me!

Have a good day!
        Neo

Comment

Working...