Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davenkeesha
    • Dec 2001

newbie sucsess, but....

I tried sevaral ripping/encoding methods. So far, FlaskDecss is the only one that worked completely. Smart-ripper works fine (and I suppose I could use regular Flask afterwords, but, the GUI for MPG2AVI doesn't put the DOS command line together properly ... "-5 option ignored").

It seems that there are a lot more options when you rip then encode with some of the other encoders, so it would be nice to get that going.

Also tried the DivXmachine program in XP... lots of problems with going from Win apps to Dos apps and back... doesn't work... haven't tried it in 98 yet, but it looks like it could be a great all-in-one solution.

Last: I couldn't get the Radium codec installed in XP (the same file works fine in 98SE). It hasen't been a problem with Flask (yet), but, that may be some of the trouble with Divxmachine and others.

Note:

Since this post, I've discovered the compatibility feature in XP. That fixed Radium. I haven't been able to get some recently released CD's to work with FlaskDecss. It
    Any advice?
    Last edited by davenkeesha; 14 Dec 2001, 11:23 AM.
  • steve8u
    • Dec 2001

so - whats your question precicely???

i too have had a fair bit of trouble encoding with XP - make sure that you get the most upto date versions of any programs you choose to use.

can i also suggest that you might try using a packaged program - or at least a gui so that you dont have to screw around in dos trying commands ect.

the pack ive had most success with is Rippack - avaliable through digi-divx. the latests one has a nice installer and works well with XP.

make sure you read the ino provided and check the web page.

PS - i choose to use smartripper as apposed to using the ripper in rippack - i just like it and it probably a personal thing.

hope this was in some way helpful.

cheers
    steveo

Comment

• davenkeesha
      • Dec 2001

Thanks for replying, Steveo. That wasn't the most eloquently written post I've ever written. I think I'm doing pretty well getting up-to-speed, although I'm feeling like "Unfrozen Cave-Man Computer Dude."

So far, FlaskDecss is pretty reliable, although I'm about to try Rippack as you suggested.

For some reason, the Avi's I've made won't play in Windows Media Player on the XP machine (just the sound). They do work fine on the 98 machine with any player and on the XP machine using gdivx-player. Some other Avi's that I've download do work, though. I'm wondering if that's some copy protection scheme in the latest windows package.

Thanks again,
      dave

Comment

• Trancemaster
        Snoogins
        • Dec 2001

Hey guys, how's it going?

First off, XP is an arse, as is most of Microsofts' software. But if you mess around for about say 3 days, you can get your XP machine working great! I've only been making DivX for about 2-3 months, but I've got the hang of it quick. I find the best and easiest way of making DivX is to use SmartRipper 2.40 and FlaskMPEG 0.6, with DivX 4.11, Radium MP3 and AVIChop. To get AVIChop working in XP, you'll need to run it in Win98 Compatibility mode. Then your set!

On the point about certain DivX only playing audio in WMP, I don't know why it does, but I have managed to get my DivX's that did that working by cutting them in AVIChop. Weird, but it worked.
        Hope this is of some help!
        Snooch to the Nooch!

Comment

• davenkeesha
          • Dec 2001

Thanks for the responses, folks. I've only been into this for a little over a week, but I'm surprised at how many resources there are and the efforts by others without a need for compensation.

So far, I've got a system that works pretty well, and I'll go over the XP trouble soon (hey, that machine has only been running for a little over two weeks). I'll give all suggestions a try... gotta actually work for a while for now, though.

Thanks to all involved! Feel free to email me with some hint to Divx in the subject.

dave

Comment

Working...