Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeus
    • Jul 2002

Dual Monitors?

What are the advantages to using dual monitors?

Thank you for your time.
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Their certainly are other advantages. However for me, dual monitor support would be benificial if I had a tv-out card. I could say watch a movie (divx on the pc) on the tv, while still have my monitor free to browse, or do other work.

Comment

• Coma
      Local Moron
      • Jul 2002

How does one go about setting up a dual monitor system i've never done this before i have 4 of em LOL might as well put at least two of em to good use....................cheers
      Do not fear the penguins, for they are allies of peace, truth, and justice.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

What are the advantages to using dual monitors?
        You get more 'working space' on the desktop. For example, you can have your Excel spreadsheet displayed on one monitor, and your Word compilation on the other. Very useful feature indeed.

How does one go about setting up a dual monitor system i've never done this before i have 4 of em LOL might as well put at least two of em to good use....................cheers
        Your graphics card manufacturer should have provided the software for you. If you happen to be using cards from the big companies (ATI, nVidia and Matrox), their driver packages include the required support for it.

Comment

• Coma
          Local Moron
          • Jul 2002

You have to have two graphics cards though right? I only have one and since my system is still under warranty I can't go opening up the case and messing with things................is there anyway to use the tv out s-video an adapter or something?
          Do not fear the penguins, for they are allies of peace, truth, and justice.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Coma
            You have to have two graphics cards though right? I only have one and since my system is still under warranty I can't go opening up the case and messing with things................is there anyway to use the tv out s-video an adapter or something?
            You don't really need another graphics card, as long as your primary display adapter possesses another output jack (be it S-video, DVI, etc. and the output device that can accept connections from these ports). The driver software will take care of setting up the dual display for you.

Which brought something to my attention. Most graphics cards nowadays support multiple displays, but few support multiple CRT monitors (with the exception of Matrox Parhelia). If you are thinking of using multiple CRTs, then you will most probably need another display adapter. I don't know how the warranty of your system goes, but I build my own system and hence am not restricted from opening up my system case.

Comment

• dfrench24
              • Feb 2004

I have the traditional monitor (Samsung 19 inch monitor) and I want to buy a LCD monitor as a second monitor in order to set up dual monitors (to increase my desktop space/usage). My graphics card has one connection for monitor and an S-Video jack. I have a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 card.

Question: Will I be able to set up dual monitors with my hardware (e.g. using two different types of monitors)?

Can you give me any guidance on doing this, if I can, as I have never done this sort of thing before?

Comment

• kebabinho
                • Feb 2004

i use the other output on my graphics to "beam" the screen (normally a video file) to a tv in another room.

Comment

• poolenglish
                  • Jul 2004

Dual monitors are kool.
                  I bought a Radeon 7000(dual monitor) agp card on e-bay for $35 (us) new. It can be set to use a regular tv as a monitor also.
                  Now rather than spending big bucks on a 19" crt...I use my 17" and a 13" that i found in the dumpster!
                  Actually it is more square inches of working space than one big monitor to boot.
                  It is kool because you can drag from one monitor to the other.
                  Last edited by poolenglish; 26 Jul 2004, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...