Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richb
    • Aug 2002

Where To Start

Complete newbie. Been all over the web today and now totally confused. Looking for advice on what software to download. Here's the hardware spec and requirements. Price not an issue, quality is - but prefer not to buy expensive new hardware at present unless I'd xperience a significant difference. Happy to upgrade RAM and am seriously considering W2000 as I'm seriously fed up with W98 and 95. Happy to use different software to get results on each machine below.

UK based. 3 Compaq laptops. PIII 750mhz 256 Ram with DVD/CDR W95 (screen not displaying except when booting). PIII 800mhz 256 Ram CD-RW, W98 (my main machine). PII 366mhz 128 Ram, CDR, W98 - spare hard disk.

Would like to: 1) backup DVDs to hard drive and CD including HD of the 2) copy VHS to CD and dump the tapes 3) play DVDs on laptop and TV (via laptop and Sony DVD player).

So what software and connectivities do I need? Also planning to experiment with Linux on spare hard disk.

Spotted on Doom9 site his recommendation to do a clean installation of W2000 - to first empty the hard disk - does this mean completely uninstall all software like my Office Suite for which I've knackered the original disk (yes I know I should have made a copy but didn't have a copier back then)?

Cheers
    Last edited by richb; 21 Aug 2002, 04:39 AM.
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Would like to: 1) backup DVDs to hard drive and CD including HD
    What you would like to do is "dvd ripping" It is explained at digital-digest and in the "sticky" section.

of the 2) copy VHS to CD and dump the tapes
    You will require a capture card, cables, and video capturing software. Virtualdub is nice freebie software.

3) play DVDs on laptop and TV (via laptop and Sony DVD player).
    Connect your dvd player to your laptop (consult your manual to see if it contains I believe an s-video input).

Comment

Working...