Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottyo
    • Sep 2002

Please help...newbie question

I need a little bit of help. Just to let you know, I am a newbie so this may just be common sense.

I have ripped a DVD using Smart Ripper, then used DVD2AVI for reaching my AVI's and then used the VFAPI Codec to make the fake AVI needed to use in VirtualDub. This was all done according to instructions on this website.

VirtualDub works great with no problems and my AVI file gets to be as small as 120 MB with the right compression. It plays perfect with sound until.............................

I delete the VOB files from the original project, so I can play it without the other files on my HD. I try to play the final AVI file that VirtualDub has made and have deleted the other VOB's and VFAPI's files (the fake AVI file). I can hear the audio that VirtualDub has made, but can no longer see the video??? It seems that the VirtualDub AVI needs the original VOB files to play the AVI. Could you please help in this matter.

I hope I make some sense. My final goal is make .avi files small enough to play on my PocketPC, at about 150 to 200 MB. I am also pretty happy with the performance of SmartRipper, DVD2AVI, VFAPI and VirtualDub.

Please help and let me know what I am doing wrong in this matter.

Thank you all so much!
    Last edited by scottyo; 25 Sep 2002, 09:56 PM.
  • scottyo
    • Sep 2002

I think that my problem is that I am not actually reencoding my movie for use, from what I am reading. If this is true, should I use DVD2AVI to make my actual AVI (save AVI command), or should I use virtualdub, or should I use some other program. Also, please let me know of the settings that are best within these programs. Remember, I am looking for the smallest file size (150-200mB, if possible) with the best quality.

Thank You All Again!

Comment

Working...