Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aerostar
    • Nov 2002

Use a Digital handycam as a webcam ?

Does anyone know if a sony handycam can be used as a webcam..?..if so how...?

I have a DCR-PC11E PAL

Thanks in advance for any advice
  • Rincewind256
    • Sep 2002

Just, switch your connected digicam to "record-mode" without a cassette inside.
    You can use Microsoft Media Encoder to create a livestream in the wmv-format over the web for example.

Comment

• Rincewind256
      • Sep 2002

Aerostar told me in Private Message he wants to use "Netmeeting" from microsoft with his digicam.
      So, he will need some extra software to use this option, cause microsoft didn`t enable wdm-driveraccess for this software and you have to use a VFW-driver instead.
      But as I said, there is some extra software arround, which can emulate a WDM to a VFW.
      All you need is to download and install this programm below:

Reboot your system and switch your cam to "record-mode" without a cassette inside (you don`t have to push the record-button).
      Run that "TrackerCam"-Software and follow the instructions. After that you can run "netmeeting" from microsoft and the programm will find automatically your Digicam.

Comment

• Aerostar
        • Nov 2002

Thank you for your reply....

I have downloaded the software you recommened.....and followed the instructions.........

unfortunatly, Trackercam is not seeing my digicam as a connected device or it says that my cam cannot be used.......can i check a couple more things with you please....

what type of conection between my Sony vaio laptop and the digicam should i use...? I have a usb for getting my stills off and an i-link for capturing DV.

I'm still not clear on how to set my cam to "record mode". The only way i can see is to press the red button to record and yet you say I can set it to record mode without a tape in and without pressing the red button....hmm i'm confused.......perhaps this has something to do with why trackercam doesn't see my camera....the three settings i have on my cam are VCR, Camera and memory.

Thanks for your continued help....i'm sure we are nearly there.....!!

Comment

• Rincewind256
          • Sep 2002

Yes, we are nearly there.
          Chose the "Camera-Mode" of your digicam (connected to firewire). Load Trackercam and if everything goes right the software finds your cam (the WDM-driver). The only thing you have to do now, is to chose the cam.

Mfg. Rincewind.

Comment

• Aerostar
            • Nov 2002

well....i have followed your advice........but can't seem to get things going here......

to recap.....

I have an i-link connection from my Cam to the Vaio Laptop working fine with DVgate.......and my Cam set to Camera with no tape in.....

Sony DV Cam shows up ok in device manager and is selectable from trackercam (although trackercam does not automatically detect it on startup) but once trackercam configures it says "source unknown" and i'm left with a blank screen......

kind of frustrating.........

Comment

• Rincewind256
              • Sep 2002

Click on "Tuner" and a webpage is loading on your screen. At "Display & Camera" click on "Select Camera". Klick on the grey button "select camera" again and a configuration-window opens.
              If your system has a wdm-driver for your cam (and it has one if everything is ok with the installation of the cam) you can see it in this window. Choose the wdm-driver and click on "apply".
              I hope this instruction will help you.

Comment

• Aerostar
                • Nov 2002

Hey...thanks for your continued support here.......i must be driving you mad..!!

Well.......i can certainly see and select "sony DV Cam" as a selectable wdm option in the configuration window of Trackercam....but when it tries to load i get "No camera selected or selected camera cannot be used"

hmmm......when you talk about the Sony Cam being installed properly.....what do you mean exactly.......all I have done is loaded the USB drivers that came on the CD that was in the box with the camera..........do you tihnk i could have missed something here...?

Thanks

Comment

Working...