Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteamBird505
    • Aug 2002

Letterbox 16.9 ????

Is there in any way in TMPGEnc to alter the movie screen width from letterbox 16.9 to a bigger format. I know that the normal templates allow this but crop the viewing area.
    TV does this with a panning effect I think..any idea's

SB
  • sneglen
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Oct 2002

So what you want is sort of a Stretch image i presume.....

The only thing you need to do is: Under "Configure-->Advanced"
    You choose "Center (Cusdtom Size)" under "Image positioning method" and choose the resolution you need to to get the picture you want.

If you have the file in 16:9 wihout the black bars (DivX or other format that comes that way) the only thing you need to do is to say 352x288 (For PALVCD or 352x240 NTSCVCD) if not, you need to try a bigger one, I am not sure how to calculaten the size, but play around with it until you find the right resolution and write it down so you remember it.

Hope I was helpfull

When you say "TV does this with a panning effect I think" your right, but this is kind a hard to recreate, because you would need to go through the movie scene by scene and manually pan the image left and right, and TMPEnc does not have this feature... I think there is a filter for VirtualDub but I'm not sure.
    If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"Is there in any way in TMPGEnc to alter the movie screen width from letterbox 16.9 to a bigger format. I know that the normal templates allow this but crop the viewing area."

If you do this without cropping the viewing area, you'll have created "silly looking" distorted images...

Comment

• sneglen
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Oct 2002

"you'll have created "silly looking" distorted images..."

that was what I meant with: "So what you want is sort of a Stretch image i presume....."

And your right, but when you have looked at them for a few minutes you forget about it.

Belive me I tried it, for a few yars ago we had a Channel on our Satelite reciver that transmittet in 16:9 and 4:3 in the same time... If you selectet 16:9 the screen woduld of course be squashed together but you forget about it

If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded

Comment

• SteamBird505
          • Aug 2002

Setarip et al

mmmmmmm
          I have played with TMPGEnc and other by altering the format.
          Obviously the only thing that works is to keep the aspect.
          This is therefore the 16.9 letterbox coming more and more...

Which really means that in effect the movie occupies about 50% of the usable screen!

Ah well...lets forget that one....getting cocky here and going back to Planet of the Apes/Tim Burton ver. The one where the sound breaks up in the intro. The .avi plays OK on the computer but so far I have not coverted toMPEG and held lip sync.
          Guess what i'm doing for Christmas ?

Thanks again for your help guys have a great holiday break..
          chill out and hire a DVD !!!!!!

Comment

Working...