Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mari666
    • Dec 2002

Playing XVID

I downloaded LOTR: TTT and it's an XVID file. I tried running it with Divx, obviously didn't work. So I downloaded a XVID codec and chose the XVID files to be played under DIVX Codec. I then tried to watch it through DIVX 2.0 player, Windows Media Player and Real One: nothing. I've tried a lot of things to get the files working, but nothing. I also tried using VirtualDub. It has errors reading the first video frame and says there isn't a sound file. Help.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

You've probably downloaded a phony file...

Comment

• gd_nimrod
      • Nov 2002

I agree with setarip that its a fake file (because it ONLY JUST came out in theathers, there is no way it could have been ripped to XviD unless from a dvd screener, but anyway...), if you just want to make sure then load it up in VirtualDuband select file information.
      You should see that some of the values just done make sense.
      Last edited by gd_nimrod; 23 Dec 2002, 11:58 AM.
      Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
      http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
      http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To gd_nimrod

"load it up tmpgenc and select file information."

???????????

Are you sure you don't mean VirtualDub? If so, the poster has already indicated the results of loading it into VirtualDub...

Comment

• gd_nimrod
          • Nov 2002

I see that i have written invalid information, time to edit. And yes, i did mean VirtualDub.

"I also tried using VirtualDub. It has errors reading the first video frame and says there isn't a sound file"
          I simply replied by suggesting for him/her to check the information in VDUB - assuming that she can JUST to make sure its truly a fake file, and not a file that has only been renamed and requires a different codec to play.... just trying to help out.
          Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
          http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
          http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• ezekiel
            • Dec 2002

divx problems

I have access to two versions of LOTR:TTT. Both are cam versions one which is decent enough to figure out what is going on the other has much better picture quality (though the entire image is somewhat at a slight angle). The later of the two's sound is off. It is out of synch with the video. I was wondering what might be the best way about going and correcting the audio to match the video. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Re: divx problems

Originally posted by ezekiel
              I have access to two versions of LOTR:TTT. Both are cam versions one which is decent enough to figure out what is going on the other has much better picture quality (though the entire image is somewhat at a slight angle). The later of the two's sound is off. It is out of synch with the video. I was wondering what might be the best way about going and correcting the audio to match the video. Any suggestions?

Thanks
              To correct off-synch audio in an AVI file, do the following:
              1. Load up AVI file in Virtual/nandub
              2. Set both Video and Audio tabs to Direct Stream Copy
              3. Under Audio, go to Interleave and input the appropriate value in the 'Delay audio track by x ms' box
              4. Go to File -> Save as AVI and give a name to the new file

In the case of the audio gradually getting more and more off-synch from the video, add the following step prior to saving the file:
              -. Under Video, go to Frame Rate and select "Change so video and audio durations match (you should see a value similar to the original frame rate). ==> Note: This may not work if the audio sampling rate is below 44.1KHz.

Comment

• ezekiel
                • Dec 2002

Thanks, but I got another one

Thanks. That worked like a charm. Don't suppose I could trouble you with another question? Well the file is in AVI (divx) format and I'm wanting to put it on vcd or svcd format so I can play it in my stand alone dvd player on my tv. I understand that when you take the avi and converting it to vcd(mpeg1) or svcd(mpeg2) you are going to lose video quality, correct? Would the degradation be least noticable in svcd or would it matter? And if so could I use svcd even though the format is for suitable to vcd (352x288 pal 25fps). Just curious thanks for the advice in advance.

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

Thanks. That worked like a charm.
                  You're welcome.

I understand that when you take the avi and converting it to vcd(mpeg1) or svcd(mpeg2) you are going to lose video quality, correct?
                  Provided you are not working with VCD rips (but with DVD rips which have relatively higher resolution), the answer is yes. However, if you are going to be viewing it on the television (which generally has lower details and resolution compared to PC monitors), there should be little to no perceptible loss in quality. SVCDs have higher resolutions than VCD and hence the loss in detail will be less.

Comment

• ezekiel
                    • Dec 2002

process

I forgot to add this in my last post. The process I'm using to take the Divx avi file to (s)vcd is as follows. Take the audio from the divx file with virtualdub and save it to a wav format. Then using TMPGEnc take the avi video and combine it with the wave sound to a new mpeg1 (or mpeg2 for svcd). I then take the vcd (or svcd) format mpeg and burn that onto a cd using nero. It works but I was wondering if there might be a better way or if you think this type of conversion would lead to more degradation and maybe there is a better way of doing it, thanks again.

Comment

Working...